12 volt trigger

I just purchased a BHK 250 amp. I have a Parasound P5 preamp with a 12 volt trigger. The connection is with a 3.5 mm plug. I can’t get the plug to go into the 12 trigger on the BHK250. It goes in a little over half way then stops and is very loose. It appears to be the correct diameter. I do not want to force it all of the way in and risk breaking something. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome, Ira!

The trigger is a mono 3.5mm socket.

I suggest checking to make certain you have the correct size plug. If so, there may be something wrong. I remember one person needing a replacement trigger assembly (it is just a socket on a cable and easily replaced).

It just took a little more force to get the plug in that I was comfortable with. I finally got it. It went in with a loud click. I know it is firmly seated and works fine. Thanks for the help.

Elk said

Welcome, Ira!

The trigger is a mono 3.5mm socket.

I suggest checking to make certain you have the correct size plug. If so, there may be something wrong. I remember one person needing a replacement trigger assembly (it is just a socket on a cable and easily replaced).

Elk

To connect the amp to the preamp - is this a simple 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug or do I need an Emotiva ER3 set up? I only need the 250 to be triggered.

Mike

It is just a simple plug, carrying a +12V signal.

As you do not mention what pre you have I am assuming it sends a signal as most preamps do. The 250 has a +12V input.

Don’t know if this is realavent; however, I had a Parasound A21 and it used 2.5mm connectors. Same form factor as the 3.5mm but, obviously, smaller.

There is always someone who needs to be different. :slight_smile:

One would think after the many years of voltage triggers in home theaters, etc. there would be a defined standard.

Elk said

It is just a simple plug, carrying a +12V signal.

As you do not mention what pre you have I am assuming it sends a signal as most preamps do. The 250 has a +12V input.

Thanks Elk - BHK Preamp

Mike

Then you are all set. Let us know when you have it set up and working. There have been more trigger questions than I expected.

@Elk,

Hi, I have a new BHK preamp in the system and can’t get it to trigger my BHK 250.

I have tried both 3.5mm mono-mono and stereo-stereo cables. When I plug the input end into the 250, this triggers the amp from standby, but once cable connected I am unable to trigger amp to turn on / off with the preamp. I have similar setup for my HT and I have never had an issue with the AVR preamp triggering the amps.

I’m trying to troubleshoot but this is a simple process and therefore I am already stumped as to why my preamp doesn’t trigger the amp - on / off.

Cheers,

Halcro use a 5 pin XLR for their triggers on reference amps/pre-amps. From memory the retail on the trigger cable was about $800 for 3m!

Yike!

I’m not saying this a problem with psaudio stuff ‘cause I haven’t tried it, but my experience with 12v triggers with audio has never been good. It always seems to mess up the tonal balance, presumably due to different earthing paths, or perhaps it’s a way for rfi to ingress into the system.

Hi jon1199,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.
Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble.
It sounds like you are using a proper trigger cable so perhaps we need to take a closer look at the unit.
If you wold, please message me at jeremyb@psaudio.com to discuss this in greater detail.
Thanks in advance,

• Jeremy

I’m experiencing the very same issue, BHK Pre and M700 monos. GCD has no issues with the S300 using the same cable. I added a 2nd cable for the 2nd M700 but alas both behave the same.

I swapped ins for outs on the M700s, no change. Stumped for now.

Yes, my BHK preamp will only trigger the amp from the rocker switch at the back of the unit. As per Jeremy, I’m getting my unit looked at.

My BHK trigger port has 12.4v on it when the BHK is in standby (this should be zero I think) and 11.8 when fully on. Toggling the rocker on the BHK does cause voltage to go to zero and back to 12.4v turning on the amps, of course having to use the rocker defeats the purpose of a remote trigger. I suspect the device (relay?) that ties the port to ground is not functioning.

This known about my unit, I’m going to forgo using the trigger. I don’t need it as I often listen with headphones, and when I do use speakers, I have to bring them out of their storage closet and set them up, stands, acoustic panels et al, unplug the headphone jack. Pushing the buttons on the 700s in this process is not big deal to me, certainly not worth sending the unit back.

I have full confidence the guys will make yours right,

Brett

Hi Brett,

That’s great you measured and confirmed the trigger port voltage doesn’t change with preamp going in / out standby. I’m not in the USA and therefore I need to chase it up with the distributors.
Other than the quirk of ‘click’ noise with volume changes (I assume all the BHK preamps do that?), I am indeed surprised how much better my music is with the preamp inserted into the mix.

Regards

Yes, the soft clicks are normal.

Our chief engineer said there was a known bug with a few of these units but it was “easy to fix”. I am still tracking down what that means.