Ability to distinguish subtle tone differences improved when white noise was added to the background

So let’s add groove noise to digital recordings :wink:
According to Wikipedia white noise helps with tinnitus retraining, too.

I’ve used full range pink noise to significantly reduce my tinnitus. I believe pink is preferred for reasons I’ve forgotten.

With pink, each octave has an equal amount of “noise power” whereas white apparently does not.

1 Like

White noise is hard on tweeters, and ears - it has equal energy per Hertz so huge amounts of energy in the upper octaves compared to the lower ones, pink is the one to use indeed :slight_smile:

This is why Magnepans and other speakers that fire to the rear image so well… and why diffusion treatments in your acoustic space improves imaging/detail too. Its called “Stochastic Interference”. In short, the noise allows your ear/brain system to isolate uniqueness.

Some think your brain “ignores” reflections and such… BS… it is part of the inputs your ear/brain system uses. Amazing what a million years of evolution, being prey, and being predator can result in… using all available inputs to localize sound.

I could never figure out why Magnepans, I owned two different models including the 20s, had such pinpoint imaging when they were, in effect, four speakers… two firing at you, and two firing backwards. This appears to be a formula for a mess. NOT.

I have always found speaker designs that have rear-firing drivers to be superior to others in the detail and imaging departments… in general.

There is a bit more, of course… the article addresses noise… but your ear/brain system uses echo/reverb too (a more ordered kind of noise)… and this is why toe-in for speaker placement has such a profound effect on sound staging… this effects side wall reflections… lots more to write about (Haas Effect)… but that is the summary.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

To apply the learnings of the study, mixing in low level white (or pink) into the signal path, perhaps via a set or more of vacuum tubes, should make the sound more detailed, precise and presumably more pleasing.

Instead of adding some possible destructive stuff that is not germane, per my post above, “add in” the music itself… via rear firing drivers or adding diffusion to your listening space. This is something you can do without destructive (possibly) electronics.

Put it this way: Your flawed systems (yes we all have imperfect speakers and listening environments) will impart destruction anyway… may as well use this for the good.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Unfortunately, I didn’t see in the study where they surmised the value of the noise based on how or where it’s introduced into the auditory environment.

Sounds like another study.

…and after all that brilliant work Ted applied to reduce noise… oh, well…

That was noise from the bad side :wink:

1 Like