Acoustics startup - is the problem being solved, huge?

Hi Paul and the PS Audio team,

Found you on Youtube – really liked your videos and forthrightness. Therefore, thought you would be the right people to ask for advice.

I am presently contemplating joining a startup where the idea is to provide wider acoustic dispersion for tweeter and full range drivers (in high freq regions) using acoustic metamaterials.

Before I decide to make the career jump, I need to understand the scope of the problem from the horse’s mouth.

Is the problem of directionality at high frequencies for loudspeaker manufacturers, sufficiently large enough that would make them pay a premium for the startup’s solution?

Assume for now, that everything works :slight_smile:

Thank you!

It is a problem but the bigger question is how might you commercialize it and make a living at it. Even if you solve the problem with a new tweeter or process it’s going to be very difficult to monetize that into something that can support multiple people in a company. It’s not like it’ll be a Dolby or other tech that changes the world and therefore must be adopted for a price by a lot of manufacturers.

That’s my two cents worth anyway. That said, if you do figure something out, be sure and let us know!

Not an expert, but I do know that the best known, and most successful designers all have designs they have developed over many years, I would be surprised, and impressed if you solved a problem they have all considered for many years. If it could be added to an existing speaker, like the super tweeters that are sold, maybe you could create a small business. But I don’t think it would make you rich. Like Paul said, keep us posted, and if it really is revolutionary, get it patented.

Thanks Paul and Jeff. I appreciate you taking time out to respond. Yes, am considering many facets to this decision and the end applications. If I do join them, will most certainly contact you again. In the meantime, this short video will give you an idea of acoustic metamaterials.

Thanks again!

What caught my attention in the video is the ability to use these materials to design compact sound-absorbtive materials that can be tuned to very specific frequencies.

Controlling room acoustics (especially in the bass region) is a much bigger issue for audiophiles (and studios) than the dispersion of the transducers in their speakers, IMHO. For example, if you Google “bass traps” or “acoustic treatments” you get quite a list of purveyors which seems to indicate a real need among consumers, a robust market to supply such, and a pre-existing supply channel for an innovative new product.

Just sayin’ …

Thanks Howard. You’re on the right track…there is a French startup that is making noise cancelling/reducing blocks using these materials. I like your application suggestion.

I would jump on that opportunity. Sounds like really cool stuff to be working on and around.

What is your specialty?

Thanks Brett. I’ve been focused on product management and licensing of technologies at tech companies - having worked in the past with Dolby.

The last couple sentences in that video caught my attention! Isn’t that what most of us want as audiophiles?