Amarra symphony IRC / Dirac room correction

Amarra is providing an upgrade deal which will end this weekend. It is still an expensive deal, but who knows how good it is. At the moment I’m using Jriver on a windows system, but I wonder what this IRC function can bring. So when someone has already tested this version or maybe using it please let me know what you think!

Wijnand, there is a thread about it at the computer audiophile forum:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/amarra-2-6-and-irc-has-been-released-17550/

I was evaluating players for the last few and never thought I would look at the symphony irc version… But ended up buying it. I was amazed at the sound.

If you want to try the irc by itself dirac’s website (who make the irc portion) has a trial. I used a perception 420 mic (which is omni-directional) and us-144 tascam I already had for the setup… Seemed to work fine. It definitely gave more focus to the sound stage. I have thiel speakers which can be a little bright and I felt it did a good job of handling that… If you run the agent you can use any software not just amarra… It runs in the background.

Thanks! I have to buy a microphone first and than I give dirac a try! More in a few weeks!

Randy said: I used a perception 420 mic (which is omni-directional)

The 420 has three switchable polar patters, including omni - the best polar pattern by far for this purpose.

A little caution, however: the 220 is a nice, inexpensive all-purpose mic, but it is far from a measurement microphone. Even in omni it is voiced as a vocal mic and exhibits a presence peak between 5kHz and 20kHz. If the IRC software allows it, you may want to adjust the target curve to remove this broad peak.

I have a beyerdynamic MM-1 on loan with some equipment, but I could not get a connection between Dirac and the bridge. And I sold my High-end USB cable!

The better the mic the better the clearance and transparency will be.

Excellent, excellent choice.

“Better” in this contest is a small diaphragm omni mic with a very linear diffuse field response.

There are many much more expensive mics that are much “better,” but are not suited for this purpose.

I could not make a connection between Dirac and the bridge of the PWD, so I had to do the test on usb.

The setup was easy and I had to do 9 measurements with the mic on different locations.

The first impressions are a impressive quied backgrounds and rest.

More in a few days listening!

Excellent!

I could not make a connection between Dirac and the bridge of the PWD, so I had to do the test on usb.
The setup was easy and I had to do 9 measurements with the mic on different locations.
The first impressions are a impressive quied backgrounds and rest.

More in a few days listening!

I am curious about what you learned. Am I correct that you had to use USB from your computer to the pwd for both measurement and playback? So you were unable to use the bridge (especially Ethernet)?