An alternative to DSD -- avail in 1982

MHz AFM recording was in use in video-cassette systems since the 1960s. And then came consumer Beta and VHS (mid 70s), and hi-fi (AFM) stereo in 1983/1984.
If you played around with hifi vcrs, you were familiar with their CD like sound – but one main drawback. AFM pumping noise.
Well, the pro audio folks found a way to get rid of the AFM pumping distortion – remove the video topology altogether.
I guess these mastering-quality devices were avail from 1982-86. As an alternative to then-costly PCM recorders.
The MHZ recording system kinda reminds me of DSD. Maybe Sony and Philips had similar insights from a technology that put Blockbuster on the map.

2 Likes

My high-end Sony Hi8 camcorder from 1998 has excellent audio. Better than my high-end Panasonic MiniDV (2003) or my Sony memory card camcorder (2020).

So which was better: Beta/8mm or VHS for AFM hifi audio? All else held equal, VHS.

The most obvious difference is that Beta used electronically mixed AFM subcarriers into the video signal using the same set of heads as for video, while VHS used a physical mixing/superposition process known as “deep layer recording” directly on the tape, using a separate set of rotating heads.