Another Bridge skipping problem on DS Jr

Have the Directstream Junior at home for evaluation and connecting through the Bridge I experience the same skipping and jittery playback problems reported in a previous thread but my hardware configuration is different.

It is perfect if fed through my Auralic Aries Mini via USB which is using the same network connection. The NAS is a Synology with Minimserver and there is nothing else on the network. I have tried BubbleUPNP and DS Audio with the same result. DAC firmware is Yale.

I would like to get the Bridge working properly to help with the purchase decision.

Is it worth upgrading to Torreys?

Yes I would upgrade to Torreys and see if your skipping goes away. We have had reports of Yale skipping.

Dennis

Have upgraded DAC to Torreys and the Bridge has also been updated. Software version numbers are as per the guide.

I now have another set of problems.

Initially the Bridge was OK as well as USB but I inadvertently entered the input naming part of the menu and couldn’t get out so powered down in frustration. Probably a bad move.

Powering back up everything seemed normal. Bridge and USB seemed fine but I then found that all I got through the left channel was hiss and I was getting music only through the right channel. I’m not sure if both Bridge and USB were locked as I had both connected but I was using USB. I disconnected the Bridge but the same problem (and vice versa). I did another couple of power cycles and then USB started working normally. Music through both channels. Phew.

Now I tried to get the Bridge to work. The physical connection is OK and you get the network lights flashing on the connector. The IP address of the NAS is also displayed in the menu BUT try playing anything from a control point and nothing. Using DS Audio the file starts to play and then stops. In it’s menu there are two entries marked Bridge II initially which is strange. Neither work. There is no lock showing on the DS against Bridge II so although everything looks OK the Bridge is not talking to any device on the network. How do I force the DS to lock onto a input? If I connect USB then its automatic so I assume it should behave similarly with the Bridge. I’m guessing that’s where the problem lies. So the Bridge is not working.

The other issue is that the volume changes from 100 back to 60 randomly during USB playback. Don’t know what is triggering this but it just happens. I’d like maximum gain from the DS if possible but I can listen at 60 during evaluation.

So although the upgrade “worked”, it’s brought it’s own problems. I’m a Directstream newbie so there is probably some error on my part.

By the way the sound quality is very good indeed. I would be disappointed to reject this DAC because of operational issues.

redwick said Have upgraded DAC to Torreys and the Bridge has also been updated. Software version numbers are as per the guide.

I now have another set of problems.

Initially the Bridge was OK as well as USB but I inadvertently entered the input naming part of the menu and couldn’t get out so powered down in frustration. Probably a bad move.

Powering back up everything seemed normal. Bridge and USB seemed fine but I then found that all I got through the left channel was hiss and I was getting music only through the right channel. I’m not sure if both Bridge and USB were locked as I had both connected but I was using USB. I disconnected the Bridge but the same problem (and vice versa). I did another couple of power cycles and then USB started working normally. Music through both channels. Phew.

Now I tried to get the Bridge to work. The physical connection is OK and you get the network lights flashing on the connector. The IP address of the NAS is also displayed in the menu BUT try playing anything from a control point and nothing. Using DS Audio the file starts to play and then stops. In it’s menu there are two entries marked Bridge II initially which is strange. Neither work. There is no lock showing on the DS against Bridge II so although everything looks OK the Bridge is not talking to any device on the network. How do I force the DS to lock onto a input? If I connect USB then its automatic so I assume it should behave similarly with the Bridge. I’m guessing that’s where the problem lies. So the Bridge is not working.

The other issue is that the volume changes from 100 back to 60 randomly during USB playback. Don’t know what is triggering this but it just happens. I’d like maximum gain from the DS if possible but I can listen at 60 during evaluation.

So although the upgrade “worked”, it’s brought it’s own problems. I’m a Directstream newbie so there is probably some error on my part.

By the way the sound quality is very good indeed. I would be disappointed to reject this DAC because of operational issues.

Email me at dennis@psaudio.com and we will see if we ccan get you fixed up.

Dennis