Any M1200 reviews due

I’ve had ROON lifetime for more than a few years and every year that I have it, the cheaper it feels. Where else can you get the flexibility of platform choice and the support of not only ROON but also the large community? It’s evolved nicely in the 5 years that I’ve used it.

4 Likes

$700 is correct

1 Like

The best $700 I ever spent on anything audio!

2 Likes

I realize that even at $700 lots of people find tremendous value in what Roon does for them. My experience and circumstances just put me outside that group.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting review. I was struck by the generally negative tone of at least the first half of the article. I almost wonder if many readers will tune away before even getting to the complimentary portions of the review.

I honestly can’t remember a magazine review where the first half (at least, maybe more) was as weirdly negative in tone as this one. The reviewer just kept going on and on …. odd.

Not sure the review overall leaves a fair taste in the mouth given that sonically the review is quite positive

1 Like

Totally agree with it being a strange review, kzk. These 1200 amps have performed quite admirably for me over the last 8 months or so. They are just a great fit for my current situation. Also, I’m using the ground for RELs and have been all along. Anybody else using the grounds there? I think a PSA person suggested floating that ground wire. The review talks about that a bit.

I wasn’t turned off by the negativity per se, but by the reviewers repeated attempts to make himself sound like the purest of the pure, unbiased reviewers. Instead he comes across as a stuffy ignoramus too lazy to take advantage of information staring him in the face.

3 Likes

I had a similar reaction – like he did not take the time to learn about the basic nature and specifications of the kit before listening and writing a review.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Has anyone had experience with the Wyred4Sound amps in comparison to the M1200s? I have the SX-1000R from Wyred and am considering my next move up in amps. I like the weight and heat savings of the Class D designs but am hesitant that the M1200 will be a lateral move. My other considerations are the ATI 541NC Ncore based design or a Coda No. 8 Class A/AB which runs the first 18 watts in pure Class A mode. Driving Magico A5 speaks with a McIntosh C8 preamp (new version, not the ancient model.) Plently of bass slam with the Wyreds. Looking for a bit more transparency and lushness in the mids and highs.

While I cannot comment on Wyred4Sound in particular, I upgraded to the M1200 from the M700, and gained warmth, transparency and openness with the tube input stage of the M1200 versus the non-tube M700. Increased dynamics is also present with the M1200’s. Feeding the M1200’s is a BHK Signature Preamp. Previous setup was all tube Conrad Johnson PV10AL tube preamp and Conrad Johnson MV-55 tube power amp (still have both and will never get rid of). If you’re using balanced interconnect from the preamp, my guess is you would like the M1200.

The Wyred monos use a specially designed FET input stage which is what gives them their ‘non-digital’ sound and they are a fully-balanced, differential design. That’s one reason I’m concerned about it being a lateral move as it seems like the two designs are similar in approach but slightly different in implementation.

The M700’s are similar in that their input stage is also a personally fine-tuned fet stage that does sound tube-like, but I also listened to full tubes for 20 years and while I did like the M700, I NEEDED more real tubes in the signal path. I am leaning toward thinking the M700 and Wyred4Sound would sound similar and that the tube stage of the M1200 would make all the difference in the world, but I admit that I have not heard the Wyred4Sound personally in order to know with 1,000,000% certainty. Whether someone can chime in (or not), it might be worth reading some of the reviews of the M1200 from the forums which are VERY descriptive regarding what the M1200’s are able to reveal.

Big thumbs up for the Coda #8…It really is a bargain for what it delivers at the asking price!

1 Like

I’ve read good things about the Coda. Kinda leaning that way right now.

2 Likes

Coda in general is built like a tank, having a Coda 02b preamp for many years. There is a certain Nelson Pass heritage to the brand as well.

1 Like

I think the real heritage for the Coda name belongs to Eric Lauchli…

… and Nelson Pass who’s ideas he built upon…

Umm…Lauchli designed for Pass at Threshold and his contributions can not be denied. Coda is not Pass Labs…hence, a separate heritage if you will!

Ideas implemented at Pass followed Lauchli to Coda, especially in the earliest Coda devices such as the 02b preamplifier I have. Thus the heritage aspect of the line. Not a negative connotation, just a reality. The current Coda line is very strong, heartily recommended and its sound is different from current Pass products. Coda are somewhat of a bargain in today’s market. Any one considering Pass higher priced PSA components should give Coda a listen. They just might like what they hear.