Any readers here? Whatcha reading right now?

Harlem Shuffle - Colson Whitehead

I liked the flashbacks a lot, but the storyline post launch was a bit too much like the Martian. How do you feel about it after finishing it?

In the process of moving so only about 3/4 thru. Had to set up stereo first ! Now back to reading.

Read this last night (in one sitting! :wink: ). The boy could seriously benefit from some self-actualization therapy, and the mole is obsessed with cake, but it does put forth some good life lessons. The real draw (no pun intended) is his artwork - superb pen and ink, ink wash, and water color.

I ordered this so long ago that I forgot about it. It magically appeared on my doorstep today. Some light reading.

6 Likes

If you haven’t read this yet, you must put it on your Christmas list.

“ Buying a motorcycle with over 100 horsepower is kind of like buying a pound of coke. You’re basically saying to yourself, I’m just going to go ahead and be an a$$hole for the foreseeable future, and see what that’s like. What it is like is that the rest of the world is moving in slow motion, and it is excruciating. The lanes painted on the road appear acres wide. The enclosed, lumbering objects you share the road with are essentially standing still, and it makes no sense to abide by their rules.”

1 Like

Really though, this book covers all kinds of enthusiasm-driven pursuits. While it’s written about driving, it can easily be extended to audiophilism, motorcycling, mountain climbing, photography…Crawford GETS it when it comes to edge cases like us. He’s the philosopher we need right now.

1 Like

This reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson’s review of the Ducati 900 Supersport:

1 Like

1 Like

This falls into my personal “guilty pleasure” category. It’s the latest in Mike Lawson’s “Joe Demarco” mysteries. He’s strayed a bit in his last couple of outings from the original premise of Demarco’s character - an unlicensed attorney, from a mobbed-up family, who works as a bagman for the on-again off-again Speaker of the House of Representatives. Maybe there’s only so many political mysteries out there, so he’s turned to non-political ones. Still, it’s a fun, easy and engaging read, like all the others in the series:

lawson Capture

A current recommendation from a friend. Being a NYC boy, the surroundings and antics resonate with the many stories I overheard my parents, aunts and uncles relate to each other time and time again from their early years. Before my dad passed, during his later retirement years, he penned on the computer a 60 page biography of his own life from his those days. He printed it on his computer, cut and glued the binding himself, and gave a copy to each of us kids. His little endeavor is what, for me, makes this book ring familiar.

1 Like

A wonderfully fun, creative book. Very much worth reading.

A gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles

Thw dark hours - Michael Connelly

Superb! Thanks for sharing that. I do miss Hunter’s writings.

1 Like

He was a hoot!

… and at times his own worst enemy. A hoot indeed.

1 Like

Just finished this. Three young men just out of reform school in the early 50’s on a road trip. What could go wrong? I went along for the ride and was sorry to see it end. Highly recommended.

John Fowles - The Magus reread

3 Likes

3 Likes

Rereading the first hardback I ever bought, back in the 8th grade:

1 Like