Any readers here? Whatcha reading right now?

i have a couple of Daniel Dennet’s books to read.
i heard him interviewed on “The Life Scientific” on Bbc radio 4 a while ago, and was immediately impressed with his thinking.
it particularly interests me that our consciousness spontaneously forms from the interactions of “trillions of tiny robots” and that music is so important to this consciousness in pretty much everyone to some extent or another.

warning - do not read if you are offended by atheism, or the view that no one has the right to impose their spooky morality on anyone else, ever.

also note - The Life Scientific interviews are available on bbc iplayer, and are always worth hearing - a huge variety of scientists old and young have been interviewed at one point or another :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A local author and UW-Madison Professor Emeritus. His writing takes me back to simpler times, where your word meant something.

It’s quite good so far. Her previous book both my father (retired minister and historian) and I read at the same time and had fun discussing, I think it’s really a strong work:

Her deep familiarity with classical literature of the time really allowed her to present some fascinating insights.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.15.52 PM

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others…

4 Likes

No coal, no soul, just dole.

I consider myself very lucky to have the version of “Animal Farm” illustrated by Ralph Steadman. His unique style really adds a lot to the presentation and message of the story.

An excellent book.

And incidentally, I have that statement shortcutted on my phone.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

2 Likes

I have read it several times. Great book.

1 Like

Captivating so far.

I just realized the novella “The Haunting of Hill House” was written by Shirley Jackson, so I’m giving that a shot right now.

The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms.
Muriel Rukeyser, " The Speed of Darkness"

1 Like

Erik Larson, “Dead Wake”. History as fast-paced thriller.

1 Like

The Science Of Interstellar, Kip Thorne

3 Likes

I just noticed it says it was made into a min series I may need to watch that!