Audiophile router

Any opinions on where to buy / how to make an audiophile router? In my opinion such a router does not exist yet and should have:

- linear power supply unit

- high quality internal cables

- high quality power cable

- high quality fuse

- a minimalistic operating systems with few running process

Maybe PS Audio can built one?

There was also a short discussion on computeraudiophile but this was not very elaborate:

www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/router-advice-12949/

Get a linear PSU for the one you have. But I would not use a router as a switch for my audio .

Al

@alrainbow: what would you use then?

A router is a way of using a modem with only one data output to connect to a network.

Beyond this in mist applications is a SW or some call a hub.

So get a giga switch and have audio go in and out of this SW only.

So if there is other devices sat ,tv ,cable printers. Etc on another SW. Just the CPU

Why do you need a router? What topology are you going to implement? Like Al said, most likely you need a switch, not a router.

If you need a good switch, I would recommend HP 1810-8G v2 (see also http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/comment/70876#Comment_70876 ). You can find it on eBay for $100 ( HP 1810-8G v2 switch on eBay )

It’s got a metal case (= shielded), it’s got an external power supply (if you want you can replace it with a linear one), it can be managed via a web-interface, it’s very robust, “eats” only 4.8W and supports all you need @home.

Just in case - the 24port version has an internal power supply.

Alekz, I thought the v2 model was in a plastic case. :-/

Ah, you’re in NL :wink: This one then: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/319112/hp-procurve-1810-8g-v2.html

Alekz, I thought the v2 model was in a plastic case. :-/

My 1810 24g v2 is very metal ;)

@Alekz: My network topology looks as follows:

My Fritz!Box 7360 ADSL router is connected to a phone line to my Internet provider and has 4 port:

1. 1 GB port is connected to my pc with a 15meter CAT 5e cable

2. 1 GB port is connected to my QNAP TS-212 NAS (short CAT 6 cable)

3. 1 100Mbit port is connected to the PS Audio Bridge using a 10 meter CAT6 cable

4. 1 100Mbit port is connected to my Motorola TV receiver

I stream my FLAC files using PS Audio EMM for Windows to the Bridge.

Do I understand it correctly that you recommend using a switch for the music streaming and if so how? Should this switch be connect (and get an IP address) from the Fritz!Box 7360?

Thanks in advance.

Just connect with a cat cable .it will feed internet fine. The router internal sw is not bad but to make sure of the best quality by a seperat giga sw. All connections get made to sw .

The tv can go to router internal sw. But the nas, bridge, cpu all should go to new sw.

Al

Okay to make it clear for me. The new GB switch gets its IP address from the Fritz!Box 7360 and in the switch I put the NAS, bridge and my (streaming) PC?

@alrainbow of @Alekz:

Should the new GB switch get its IP address from the Fritz!Box 7360 and in the switch I put the cables for the NAS, bridge and my (streaming) PC?

adriaan said: Should the new GB switch get its IP address from the Fritz!Box 7360 and in the switch

Actually, it does not matter. You do not have to have an IP-address for the switch at all, but it's necessary if you want to manage it.

You can assign the address manually or, indeed, let the router do this for you.

The resulting topology depends on the device location. For example, in my home network the switch is always in the centre - all devices are connected to the switch (but because of the distance issues I have more network devices in between).

See also these threads:

http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6420/high-end-network-tuning
http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/3626/ethernet-cable-for-bridge
http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/4039/new-statement-router-in-the-pipeline-asus-rt-ac66u

You might want to place the switch close to the PWD/Bridge, connect them with a good short Ethernet cable, plug the switch into P3/P5/P10/PPP, connect the switch to a FritzBox 100Mb port with a lesser cable.

@Alekz, thanks for all the help. I do think I should have an IP address for the switch because my PC is than connected to the switch and it should have Internet access!

and by the way: my pc which is 15meter from my router streams to the Bridge.

adriaan said: I do think I should have an IP address for the switch because my PC is than connected to the switch and it should have Internet access!

A switch is a Layer 2 device, not a Layer 3 one, like a router (IP protocol and IP-addresses belong to the 3d network layer) . Switches need IP-addresses for managing purposes only. You will have Internet access even if your switch does not an IP-address.

Okay, but isn’t the only way to get Internet access with my PC is to:

- directly connect to my DSL router

- or indirect using the switch which is than connected to the DSDl router