Audioquest Dragon Thread

I kind of figured the Dragon power cord would need quite a bit of burn in time! Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that Dragon power cables can be ordered in custom lengths to help save a little bit of cash when going over 1m.

3 Likes

Haha yes but I´m now perfectly happy with my cheapest?ever loom of BAV powercables and xtra $41K on my bank account vs Dragon loom. Before BAV I was happy with Cerious,before that Acoustic Revive,Acoustic Zen,Lessloss,Mad Scientist,Graditech,High Fidelity Cables,Nordost,Tara Labs,Qed,Furutech blah blah…list is long as a hunger year and it never ends.Soon there will be new lines again and even more :money_mouth_face: There is just current state and soon merry go round again. I stay away from 10K€ power cables. We have AL for that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The good thing about cables is, you can buy used ones and be reasonably sure they’re in good working order, not much to go wrong. And if you wait long enough, you can save a bundle, and they are already broken in.

4 Likes

That does seem to make sense. I went from a P12 to the P20 and the SQ improvement was immediate and right in your face. But I don’t know about the P15 to P20.

Good to know, having the P15 I really went back and forth on the final decision as the P15 fit in my new rack and the P20 would just make it. The P15 has been a revelation, and using PS Audio AC 12 power cords to the P15 and Decware amp. All other PCs are Shunyata. Should PS Audio offer a similar promotion that included the P20 I’d spring for it to feed my cj Premier 11a system. (Hint, Hint). :grin:

2 Likes

I am sure there is some improvement, but I am happy with my P15. It fits in bottom of my rack perfectly and it would not break my back too. I do not have records anymore and P15 handles my sources and M1200 easily.

2 Likes

Good point as the P15 itself is a beast and my system loads it to 220 watts. Initially the P20 seemed to be overkill. It just occurred to me that money may be better spent on the P20 and then letting loose on a power cord. Regardless the P15 is now sitting idle awaiting the fair weather season in its summer home.

1 Like

AQ claimed my Dragon HC is in back order because there was “material” delay from shipping. So, I will not get mine until early December. this brought back the bad memory of ordering Firebird 48, and I had to wait four months for it.

May be this thread generating too many orders from the high praises was the real cause. The good news is there is no delay on Dragon 48 HDMI and I will get it soon to conduct my comparison to Firebird48.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear this.

That actually works out fine; I can try the Dragon HDMIFirst, plus the 3M absorbing sheet that vmax recommended. By the time Dragon HC arrives, I should have a good idea how my “new sound” is before I try another new cable.

The system has been shut down for a week until now, so I’ll try the sheet tomorrow.

2 Likes

Did you receive your dragon 48 yet?

Not yet, but it should be here next week sometime. If it is like Firebird48, it will take a few weeks to break in. I need to make sure it’s a fair comparison because it is against Firebird which has the same material and construction.

2 Likes

You will notice a difference immediately. The only issue I’ve noticed during the first couple days is during some songs it was a little bright but that cleared up after 100 hours or more. Now it’s been one of the best sub $1500 upgrades I’ve made!

1 Like

Nick at TMR Audio is a great guy and will work with you. I purchased all my PS Audio gear from Nick before PS Audio started selling direct.

2 Likes

I’d be very interested in the comparison between the Dragon and the Firebird.

I have the PST and Holo Spring 3 KTE DAC on order and will need an HDMI cable.

I currently have a full loom of Wireworld cables except for my USB which is a Shunyata Delta. Now this thread has me reconsidering.

2 Likes

I should receive it by Thursday, it will probably take a few days if not a few weeks to compare. On paper these two are almost the same. But if I can tell the difference right the way I will share, but I hope not.

2 Likes

Installed a Firebird48 HDMI cable on my Pioneer LX500 Friday. I spin SACD and Blu Rays. I had a Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 before.

The Wireworld will NOT be going back in. I could tell withn an hour the Firebird is on a completely different level. Resolution specifically is so much better. Wireworld is a still a great cable, but I believe the Firebird is a good bit better and worth the money.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply. It appears I know now which direction to go.

I would say again Firebird48 is so much better than my previous AQ Coffee (was 2nd down from previous top Diamond). I think you will be very happy with it. Dragon is quite a bit more expensive than Firebird, and frankly I don’t know if it is worth it for most. For a system north of $100k it may make sense; but maybe not and I’ll find out.

2 Likes