Bach Cello Suites

A neat video project in Cleveland:

1 Like

I can warmly recommend this serie;

https://www.bachvereniging.nl/nl/bwv/bwv-1011/

I have the Bailey set on CD, purchased after we saw him perform the Elgar concerto with our Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra a couple of years ago.

I was intrigued by the mention earlier in the thread of the suite performed on double bass by Mark Bernat. I found it on CD from ArkivMusic yesterday and ordered a copy. That should be interesting.

But which Starker? I have the 1992 later recording (RCA Red Seal - Sony Classical Masters, released 1997) and it is excellent. Doesn’t seem to get the same attention as the Mercury recording that gets repressed a lot.

A review and comparison here:

I just received an email from Arkiv that said the order had been canceled because the restock process had “timed out.” Bummer.

I have not heard that vinyl boxset byt for me; the sacd version that you mention sound great!

The recording is so good that without comparison it always sounds kind of great. How much better it can sound can only be experienced by comparison with the available vinyl boxes,

1 Like

I understand;

Thanks

The following masters did have wonderful recordings of Bach’s cello suites: János Starker, Mstislav Rostropovich, Alisa Weilerstein. Starker’s is my favorite!

1 Like

Don’t forget Pierre Fournier who does a virtuoso performance and lesser known but still good Zuill Bailey. Starker also my favourite

1 Like

You’re right. Fournier’s Bach Suits (Archiv Produktion) are remarkable :+1:. Also, his Beethoven Cello sonatas with Frierich Gulda are impressive.

My favorite performances of Beethoven Cello sonatas are Du Pre & Barenboim (EMI live recording), as well as Maisky & Argerich (DG studio recording).

I had another listen to the Rostropovich recording this morning and am always unsettled by what feels like a very quick tempo, particularly at the start, until one settles into the pace. Not that I want a slow approach …

1 Like

Interesting. I will have a comparative session for Starker & Rostropovich this week.

EMI’s live recordings are often quite good. Perlman’s and Argerich’s “Kreutzer” Sonata is very nice, performance and recording.

1 Like

I totally agree. I happen to have the “Kreutzer” by Warner Classics (acquired EMI Classics around 7 years back) great recording, and Perlman - Aregerich did a wonderful job. Have you listened to the Oistrakh - Oborin version (Decca, I think). You will love their special flavor. Quite different, even from Mutter - Orkis.

Enjoy

1 Like

I can confirm your observation. Pretty much like Karajan vs a few others.

Continuing the discussion:

As we enter into 2021 with hope of better things here is a recommendation to remember 2020 by.

Miklos Perenyi by my calculation has created a new record for the longest span between first and most recent recordings of the Suites. 38 years!
In my view he has achieved the ideal blend of emotion and science in his most recent recording and added none of himself! At 72 years old he can still produce a Gigue that is more sprightly than many younger cellists!

2 Likes

I dig this one.

2 Likes

My thoughts were that it is a rather quirky HIP recording with very intrusive finger board and breathing sounds. One to go for if you like the quicker movements fast and plenty of flexibility with the timing.
He uses 4 different cellos but cloth eared as I am I couldn’t tell the difference!

Ah, just the other day I was listening to Yo-Yo Ma’s “Inspired by Bach, the Cello Suites” , his second recording of the suite from 1997. The first was done in 1983.

2 Likes