Backup for NAS?

Yeah that’s end I thought glacier was expensive. I did do a cost comparison including the restore fees

2 Likes

I found it is the most inexpensive long-term solution is just get two NAS that have at least four bay configurations and get the biggest hard drives that you can get that are in raid configurations and then backed up to the other in two two separate places with UPS connected to them, so if they lose power that they’re shut down and if you really want to be extra cautious you put one of them in a fireproof box in one of the locations . That way you end up being done with it and the only thing you might do in the future is upgrade your hard drives.

2 Likes

I prefer my backups in two different stages plan. No fireproof box.

I’m just keeping my backup NAS in my cabin 500ft away from the house. Very unlikely that both work go up in flames

2 Likes

I started using protonmail as my mail server a couple of years ago. I wanted to get away from Google. Encrypted transmission and encrypted servers in Switzerland. Has worked great. They have since developed a calendar, VPN and cloud storage. I pay a small fee for EMail and 5GB of cloud storage is included. I have a Synology 1522+ with four 16GB drives and a two drive fault tolerance. Haven’t addressed controller issues, but recognize this as a real possibility. I’ve loaded the NAS with multiple computer/drive copying and 110+ MB/sec load and the NAS streams DSD without a hickup.