Baseball-holics anonymous

Ozzie Guillen always called his teams, “The Piranha’s,” in Ozzie’s Spanglish. A perfect complement.

White Sox get win 1 in the weird 2020 postseason. I remain proud of baseball for persevering. Glad I’m “working” from home so I could watch the day game.

1 Like

They were rock solid out there. Good day.

2 Likes

Rough end to the season for Sox fans today. This North Sider takes no joy in seeing a young, exciting Sox squad go home. The Sox are built to be contenders long term so next season will be even more exciting.

Only thing I can say about my Cubbies is weather got in the way today. No excuses for losing game 1 at home with every advantage. Going to be biting my nails tomorrow.

1 Like

How are you guys watching?

I’m using ESPN+ on a Roku for now.

1. Cable package?
  2. Satellite package?
  3. IP TV package?
  4. Streaming box app (Smart TV, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV) using ESPN app?
  5. MLB TV?
  6. OTA (over the air - antenna)?
  7. Some other way?
  8. I sneak into the games and sit behind a cardboard picture?

Usually on  TV. iPad today. ESPN app.

Well, my fellow Chicago baseball fans (N - & S - siders alike), just wait 'till next year!

Hopefully, the city-wide lumber shortage will be over by spring. Sheesh!

Cheers.

1 Like

Dodgers taking game 1 didn’t surprise me.

I’m glad fans were allowed and it seems as if their seating was well planned.

1 Like

With the almost 5 to 1 payroll disparity and all of the pitchers out for the season before the first month was over we Rays fans are proud they got this far. Unless all of their hitters came out of their three week coma at the same time didn’t think this would last much past five games. Dodgers are going to try the Rays opener/bulk pitching scheme tomorrow against Snell so we’ll see how that works out and then it will be Uncle Charlie against Bueller on short rest.

2 Likes

At least with the Astros eliminated there will be no more lingering questions about cheating through stealing signs. Ahem. I’m very grudgingly rooting for the Dodgers as a dyed in the wool National Leaguer.

My Cubbies have some serious decisions to make this off-season. Were it me I’d pay Lester’s buyout and bank the other 15 million for acquisition of someone who represents the future for the starting rotation. But then, I’m not getting the big bucks to make those decisions.

RE: Lester –

Not a bad thought…but “we” can’t win games without putting some crooked numbers up on the scoreboard, no matter how good the starting pitching is.

One could argue that the Cubs have been in a two-year team batting slump.

Cheers.

1 Like

No argument from me on that one at all. A particularly annoying late season batting slump two seasons in a row. WE need to fix that for sure. :frowning: .

1 Like

And Pito wins MVP for the AL. After the baseball press treated re-signing him as a pity move for the White Sox.

Could not have happened to a better man. He was really overwhelmed to win it too. Congratulations, José. You deserved it.

1 Like

Just bought myself a Christmas present. Fanatics had a signed Tim Anderson bat for $112. That’s what a good BAT costs, much less one signed by the AL batting champ from last year. I’m kind of excited.

3 Likes

Who is Tim Anderson?

Just kidding. Enjoy.

I could have legitimately asked this question, but he nicely told us in his post who he is - AL batting champ.

I have no idea what team, etc. however. :slight_smile:

A neat purchase.

Thanks. He’s the White Sox shortstop. He keeps getting better every year.

I have a few signed balls, but this will be my first bat. They also had a Frank Thomas bat that I’d like, but it was a little dear for my tastes. Tim is a young player who is a genuinely good dude and involved in the community in person, not just in name. I’m pleased to add him to my small collection.

Most of what I have are the guys I LIKE vs the ones who were the best. I still regret not buying the Minnie Minoso ball when I had a chance.

I RESPECT Frank Thomas. I LIKE Tim Anderson.

1 Like

I enjoy the idea of supporting those you like, rather than the “best.” Good thinking.

1 Like

Tommy LaSorda’s passing makes me extremely sad. He led a great, long life but still. He was a proud American and outstanding ambassador for the game of baseball! He will be missed by millions.

4 Likes

They showed drone video of Dodger stadium today and they painted a giant Dodger blue “2” in CF. Great tribute to the legend.

2 Likes