Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

I know what you mean. I only want 4’ or 5’ speakers cable as well(I like very short speaker cables so I place the mono’s by the speakers) and it is hard to justify purchasing 10’ for that.

Yeah, I’ve talked to Galen about the available length issue and he explained the business decision but it still sucks.

frank7036 said

Hi @veneet - no the prices are the minimum cost for the length. For speaker cable less than 10’ it is the same cost as 10’. For interconnects the minimum price is for 5’.

10 ft spkr cables are the shortest they will make I thought.

OK, OK… I guess “sucks” was a little strong, but we’re just commiserating.20_gif

Galen sent me this:

"Will,

We make shorter speaker cables but the COST to terminate the cables is LARGE so shorter than 10 feet cables are essentially the same price. We had to place the cut-off somewhere on termination costs.

Also remember, this is real stuff and the physics say if you have 6” pigtails at each cable end that is a larger and larger part of the cable’s LENGTH the shorter it is, so electricals will be impacted; lower capacitance but higher average inductance per foot. And, low inductance improves the phase response of the cable. The cables are shorter to offset some of the increase in lump inductance but inductance DOES Increase as the loop are get larger that is responsible for the changes. The “average” values per foot will go up but it’s short, so the bulk will go down. The physics can’t be cheated except in your mind."

(I always make a point to cheat on physics in my mind, especially if I think it will be cheaper)

Hi Will,

Thanks for reaching out to Galen, I really like that he reminds us that in reality there are both business and technical reasons, and that he even told you the technical. That is a standup guy.

I was really looking for something in the 1500 dollar neighborhood and it just means I need to look elsewhere. Which is totally fine, and am happier knowing that technically, for these cables, getting shorter would be worse.

Thank you very much,

Veneet

wglenn said (I always make a point to cheat on physics in my mind, especially if I think it will be cheaper)

4_gif

Galen, making sure that we are all on the same page.

"Will,

We still seem to be getting confused. The cable's will be better the shorter they are (total lump valus will be less) but they won't be as low a C or L averaged to a per foot as the "ends" are a fixed issue so you can USE the cable. Every cable ever made has the same problems. Separating the leads to add connectors and reach your speaker terminals increases the inductance as the loop area between the wires gets larger.
I would not fear the difference averaged "per foot" being slightly higher, but being a straight-up need to know what's going on kind of company...we will tell you. The test report will show the "averaged" L and C. As the length gets shorter the cap will drop some and the inductance will go up some as the "ends" are more and more a total of the cable. No one else gives you a test report so they don't have to be straight-up about it. Belden wants you to enjoy and understand your cables. You want the facts, we'll here they are."
Don't worry, G, we're just whining because we can.65_gif

You certainly can’t accuse Galen of holding back on information. Still loving my Iconoclasts, btw. 41_gif41_gif41_gif

So . . . How much does a 10 foot speaker pair cost? No help on the website as it asks for a quote submission.

Edit: I’m using my 10 year-old XLO Reference 3 speaker cables. They sounded WAY better than the Acoustic Zen at the time I bought them. But it seems like XLO uses some of the techniques (either by accident, test or deliberately) that Galen mentions. I just don’t know if they’d be worth it at this point.

@streets still works USD 2300.00 withBA90554F-E1FD-4A8B-A4BA-6A35369EBB98.jpeg standard spade connectors.

Add 200.00 for larger spades or 120.00 for banana adapters.

if my price list is still current.

Streets, the website is a non-starter for sure. I would venture to say that you should give them a try and see what you think. You can always get your money back if you don’t dig them. Am I recommending them? OHH YESSS.

Are those prices per stereo pair?

Or should I multiply by two for the total cost?

Those are per pair pricing.

Galen reminded me that the connector “adders” are for combination, switchable connectors. Regular connectors, be they banana, spade or XLR, are included in the price of the assembled cable.

wglenn said Streets, the website is a non-starter for sure. I would venture to say that you should give them a try and see what you think. You can always get your money back if you don't dig them. Am I recommending them? OHH YESSS.
Hmm, I'll put them on the to-ponder list. My MartinLogan Spire are acting up, so I may have to replace them if washing them won't solve the sputtering issues. So new speaker cables won't do diddly to fix that. But thanks for the feedback. I'd be curious to compare them with my XLO Reference 3's and see how much Galen has improved signal path.

Question, for speaker cables or interconnects, is the TPC good enough for short runs? (10 foot speaker, 1.5m interconnect) OF is looking a bit too pricey at the moment. Thanks.

You should be able to get a set on trial. At least Hanson offered that when I got mine.

Streets Still Works said

Question, for speaker cables or interconnects, is the TPC good enough for short runs? (10 foot speaker, 1.5m interconnect) OF is looking a bit too pricey at the moment. Thanks.

Short answer is yes but will be system/situation dependent- e.g try and find out if it works for you. My understanding is that The differences between the base and the more expensive versions is a case of diminishing return.
Galen mentions the performance of the various cable material in his series “time is of the essence” but his comments are buried in the feedback/discussion section. Below is copied from a larger reply by Galen to comments in the discussion section in Copper 49, time is of the essence pt2
We ask no one to “assume” anything about the cables. They are better measuring, hard to make and expensive. But, our ETPC copper cables well exceed the UP OCC cable’s I’ve replaced in my own system. Better design eclipses fancy materials and at affordable prices. My MAIN goal is good cable for everyone. Yes, we have the OF and UP OCC but with better design the differences is considerably compressed to the advantage of the ETPC copper.

Translated from Galen’s native tongue, Engineerish, the cheap ones kick butt. inlove_gif