Best choice for Roon user

This product from Germany is extremely popular. If I’d gone integrated amp/streaming DAC, I would have bought it. Roon Ready. Costs about $1,000.

I would prefer the MK II, but have two big problems with it, When and how much? If they said that it would definitely be released by the end of September, and be less than $8000, I would surely wait. But, they have a way with taking forever to get product out. Four to five years, sometimes.

Good thinking…

Have fun!

Always have been satisfied with the Bridge II (have a fiber optic setup between my NAS and the DSD Sr.) - exceptional sound. There will be those that will be snobs and insist on quad DSD and disparage the Bridge II. Pay them no heed. My preference is to spin CDs over streaming and they have never sounded better with the DSD.

1 Like

If you do buy the Stream Box S2 Ultra, definitely follow the advice in one of the reviews you linked to: connect it via Ethernet and turn off the WiFi. Doing that has made a huge difference both in terms of sound quality and as a bonus has made the unit less finicky when changing formats over Roon.

My streaming has been Ethernet, not WiFi, for many years.

I bought a Netgear MR60 Mesh system from Costco a month ago for $250 and it’s completely brilliant. I use it in AP mode with a Netgear N7000 modem that I got off eBay for $70.

It turns out that the Project streamer that was intended for my office system is likely to be ditched in favour of a ceiling based sound/light system. Going for a demo today, but already bought some of the units. I’m fed up with wires and the system is totally wireless. I did not understand with the Dutch & Dutch 8c why they have to be connected with an Ethernet cable, rather than wireless, which makes more sense. These ceiling units operate at the same sample rate, 24/192.

Well if you change your mind, and don’t mind an Ethernet connection, I think the Pro-Ject streamer and DAC combo is the cat’s pajamas for streaming over Roon. Now that I’ve turned off the WiFi connection, it is working glitch-free.