Best Inexpensive Tweaks?

Best cheap tweak: being happier with the main rig by listening to an old Alexa Bluetooth radio/speaker for a few minutes here and there…or some other system that is just not good before treating myself to the best system.

Thing is, I genuinely love music so much, that I’ll start getting into the weaker system. Good thing to be born with. Good problem to have.

5 Likes

I am 65, when I was 30 I got tired of obsessing about the sound and just wanted to focus on enjoying the music. Thank goodness that passed.

13 Likes

@aangen So, age is your cheap tweak? :thinking:

2 Likes

Funny that. My best cheap tweak is a ticket to the CSO at Orchestra Hall. Sort of the opposite reality check. The real thing in a real hall for the price of a ticket worth a tiny fraction of what I have invested in my rig. Recalibrates me every time. Thankfully I can now head back to Orchestra Hall and am so excited about the season. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you know me you know my tweaks are anything but cheap.

7 Likes

My reading glasses. The speakers look really big when viewed through them.

7 Likes

I think mine might be converter bases to use 12A7 type and 6SN7 type tubes in 6922 sockets. For the most part I already had tubes I could use in these, and for the most part the substitution was a handsome improvement.

Speaker toe in and adjusting the distance between sweet spot and speakers were my cheapest tweaks. They cost me fewer than 25 calories! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I dream of having each of my speakers on a carriage that I control with an app on my phone. It makes certain that any movement is applied equally in relation to the perpendicular bisector of my ears. I just sit there and request things like “move the speakers back 15mm”. Change toe in .5°. Toe out…
You get the idea.

So you just sit there and give it easy commands and it lifts, moves, and then drops to a level so that spikes touch down and there is no more contact with the speaker by the carriage until the next crazy whim. Of course once you have settled on a final resting place you borrow the setup to your friends who appreciate you not for your generosity, rather for you insane spending habits. Now they don’t have to buy one.

I am actually surprised no one has offered this as a product yet. How hard could it be? And in a hobby where people buy expensive fuses, what price would be too much?

5 Likes

Architect David Fisher did a dynamic apartment tower where whole apartments move! So, in our time, we may see speakers that move using a remote app.

1 Like

V2 of that carriage device should also have a harness to hold one’s head absolutely motionless.
Thoughts?

2 Likes

Although it would look out of place an industrial robot and some simple software would do the trick for a reasonable sum. I don’t think anyone had thought of it until you mentioned it here.

1 Like