Beta Test Impressions for New Stellar Phono Preamp!

I recently installed the Beeswax Ultimate fuse in my SPP, a very positive experience. Everything was enhanced, it’s like you’ve been dunk into a bath of cold water, all senses are at DEFCON 1 and you can hear more of everything.

This was my first fuse experience, not good for my wallet, as now I’m curious about fuse enhancements potential in my BHK Pre and amp. sigh, when will these improvements stop :slight_smile:

I’ve listened to 26 new album sides since my first post. My SPP operated impeccably, no unusual noise output. The remote switchable MC loading has a perfect range for the Rondo Bronze 60-100-200 ohms. It is quite a tutorial to switch between the three settings. Its not clear whether the ‘custom’ setting can actually reliably be set for a setting under 60 ohms. The depth of image is greater compared with the NPC-SUT.

But the added bass response compared to the "Bob’s Devices SUT and NPC combination is ‘DAY and NIGHT.’ Huge increase in bass with the SPP. Much lower frequencies with slam. The ‘thrill’ of the bass has been detracting from ‘nuances.’ Definitely a keeper. Sent the NPC back to Boulder Friday.

1 Like

Listening to it through Audeze LCD-@s, I hear very subtle things I’m not even sure were intended to hear, probable background noise. I keep taking off the HP to make sure whether it is through them, or external. If it’s in the groove, you WILL hear it.

The beeswax was the best $225 I ever spent, as it took the SPP to the next magnitude in SQ (not that it needed it, but I want the best sound possible)

I’m not sure the actual average bass level has increased, but the attack and clarity of low bass notes sure comes through. But DAMN, it comes through SOOOO good!

Hi,
I am new here. In the future, if you need a beta tester, when possible, I would like to volunteer.
Regard,
Yossi

I also noticed extraneous sound on some tracks. On Judy Collins’ Farewell To Tarwathie, for instance. This is an acappella track, which is accompanied by whale song and ocean sounds. I believe she is singing in a church, or some other space which has a more solid reverb than you would hear in a studio echo chamber. During some of the pauses it almost sounds like street noises. So, for better or worse, more detail is coming through. I think it’s pretty cool that the SPP can reveal this level of detail.

1 Like

I just got one today and have listened to one side of an LP so far (“Ajmer”, by Imrat Khan, on Water Lily Acoustics). So far: wow.

It gets better. For me, it was a lot better after a few weeks. Enjoy!

Same here! I love my Stellar Phono Preamp!

Hello. This is my first post here. I have read every sentence of this thread and decided to take the plunge. I have just ordered the spp and I will be comparing it to my Manley chinook. I am looking forward to the comparison especially after I read the one poster who felt this bested the steelhead.

4 Likes

If anyone ever even thought about taking mine away from me, i think I would have to kill them!

1 Like

Welcome aboard. I don’t see any chance of your being disappointed in the SPP.

tarheelneil
If anyone ever even thought about taking mine away from me, i think I would have to kill them!

Same here! I love my Stellar Phono Preamp!

I have a wyred4sound stp se preamp thats fully balanced and a parasound a21 ( not fully balanced). I realize its system dependent but for those of you that use xlr out do you find it too “hot” bc of the extra 6db gain ? I have a vpi prime tt with an ortofon 2m black mm cart and that would take me up to 50 bd gain in the lowest setting

Hey jprod,

The Stellar on Low MM balanced out is actually 44dB. This is fine for a 5mV cart. You can also use RCAs to get 38dB.

I have a VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze running into the XLR inputs on a Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amp, driving Audeze LCD-2s, and set at it’s lowest gain, the SPP it perfect. Not one single negative.

Thanks to both replies!

Hi, I am very interested to hear your comparison to the Manley chinook.
I have a chinook and I am on the fence about purchasing a S pp . Can’t wait to hear your impressions. It may be my deciding factor to buy one. No pressure :blush:

It’s coming Saturday but I’m out of town so I have it on hold at the local fed ex. The earliest I will pick up is Monday. Then I’m out again next Saturday for 5 days. I will try to post something preliminary late next week. Stay tuned…

By the way there was a post earlier in this thread from someone who said that the spp bested his Manley steelhead. The steelhead is better than the chinook

1 Like