BHK 250: Trigger Problem

I am able to turn the BHK 250 on and off via its trigger input. However sometimes while listening the BHK will suddenly go silent and the blue logo will flash (as it does when the unit is coming out of standby) and then will eventually come back on. I have tried different cables, and I also tried triggering it from two different preamps/processors. I noticed when plugging the connector into the trigger input I hear a clicking sound (like a relay) as I move the connector. I’m wondering if something may be loose inside the BHK where the trigger input connects. I’ve ruled out everything else. If so, is this something I can possibly get to? It’s not a life or death situation as I can easily leave the trigger disconnected and just turn the BHK on and off manually but being able to use it is a convenience. (By the way I have two other amps that are triggered by the same preamps and they work fine every time).

I’ve never heard of that - and I doubt there’s something loose since all that is there is the connector.

Let me check with Bob, our chief engineer, to see if he has any thoughts.

Have you tried to remove the other amps from the circuit and solely use the BHK - still an issue?

Frode said Have you tried to remove the other amps from the circuit and solely use the BHK - still an issue?
Worth a try. I'll report back.

Tried eliminating the other trigger cables. BHK turned on fine via trigger and played for over an hour then went into blinking mode and shut off.

As I moved the connector up and down in back the amp started flashing blue again and the clicking sounds were heard. As soon as I let go the amp went off again. Pulled out the trigger cable and pushed the ps logo manually. Amp blinked and turned on and is playing fine after several hours without the trigger cable connected.

Any further suggestions? Thanks.

Seems like there is a bad solder joint at the connector.

Agreed - there may be something amiss with the connector.

Paul McGowan said Agreed - there may be something amiss with the connector.
So I assume I should just live with it if I can't fix it myself. I can use the exercise turning it on and off manually!

I just spoke with Bob who wrote:

The trigger jack is on a cable that plugs onto the input board. So servicing it should be fairly simple. We could send him a new cable assembly if he wants to try that.”

It would mean removing the top cover and replacing the cable assembly but shouldn’t be hard - let us know if you want one sent to us. Of course, we can do the work at the factory but if you want to avoid the hassle of shipping, this might be a good alternative.

Again, I love this about PS Audio. - This should be a simple fix. If you want, we’ll send you the part, you can open the unit up and plug in the replacement. No need to pack up your amp, ship it all over hell and creation and be without it for a few weeks…

J.P.

Paul McGowan said I just spoke with Bob who wrote:

The trigger jack is on a cable that plugs onto the input board. So servicing it should be fairly simple. We could send him a new cable assembly if he wants to try that.”

It would mean removing the top cover and replacing the cable assembly but shouldn’t be hard - let us know if you want one sent to us. Of course, we can do the work at the factory but if you want to avoid the hassle of shipping, this might be a good alternative.

Sounds perfect. Please send it. Greatly appreciated.