BHK Amplifier and the CAS; First Impressions?

Gordion, can you give us a rundown of what equipment is being used? Paul has stated the DS and a new Mac Mini will be used, but what about preamp (or none), speakers, cables, and anything else? Interested in seeing what kind of choices he made for future reference.

I’m new to PS Audio having only purchased a PWT & DSD 10days ago. I’m enjoying the equipment and sound quality however I find that when connecting the DSD direct to my power amplifiers that I cannot get the volume that I sometimes want. I tried going through my pre-amp but there is a slight loss in SQ so I prefer the direct approach. Will this amplifier cure my volume issues? If not, what pre-amplifiers do PSA recommend?

regards. Frank

I really enjoyed the video. Can wait to see the other parts. The interesting thing Paul said was that he heard new things in the recordings. I was expecting possibly sweeter, fuller, more realistic or more dynamics but not new information!

Between the DS and the new amp, PS is really taking home reproduction to a new level. Paul has made a fantastic decision to give a framework for these amazing designers and allow them to create these cutting edge products within the PS ecosystem. I really liked seeing the new amp was in a P10 Chassis to keep costs low. I could imagine another company doing a custom case that would have doubled the price of the unit.

Welcome to the forum, Frank. Paul is probably busy with the show in Montreal but could probably help answer your question. I’ll ask the obvious question. Is the DS DAC set for high level or attenuated output? (sorry, had to ask…)

pmotz said Gordon, can you give us a rundown of what equipment is being used? Paul has stated the DS and a new Mac Mini will be used, but what about preamp (or none), speakers, cables, and anything else? Interested in seeing what kind of choices he made for future reference.
No pre amp, Kimber cables [shared room], speakers by Neat [England].

IMHO the speakers did not do full justice to the DS and BHK potential but the “timbre” was outstanding none the less.

It is very difficult to get great sound in a hotel room environment but the greatness was there.

While playing Brubeck’s Take 5 drum solo you could hear a pin drop in the room. All the attention was on the “moar realness” of the instrument.

I can’t wait to audition the BHK in my own rig.

ANYONE AT PSA LISTENING OUT THERE ???

Well, Paul is there… and he does like Scotch. Maaaaybeeee he could be bought.tongue-wink_gif

frank7036 said I'm new to PS Audio having only purchased a PWT & DSD 10days ago. I'm enjoying the equipment and sound quality however I find that when connecting the DSD direct to my power amplifiers that I cannot get the volume that I sometimes want. I tried going through my pre-amp but there is a slight loss in SQ so I prefer the direct approach. Will this amplifier cure my volume issues? If not, what pre-amplifiers do PSA recommend?

regards. Frank

Yes, welcome Frank! Can you check to see that the level control is set properly? Go to the tool icon in the upper left corner of the touch screen and make sure the attenuator is in the high position and let us know. If it is and you are using the volume up to 100, which I have never heard of anyone doing, then perhaps the amp is a low gain one.

Certainly the BHK connected directly to DirectStream has more than enough gain for even the lowest recordings.

gordon said
No pre amp, Kimber cables [shared room], speakers by Neat [England].

IMHO the speakers did not do full justice to the DS and BHK potential but the “timbre” was outstanding none the less.

It is very difficult to get great sound in a hotel room environment but the greatness was there.

While playing Brubeck’s Take 5 drum solo you could hear a pin drop in the room. All the attention was on the “moar realness” of the instrument.

I can’t wait to audition the BHK in my own rig.

ANYONE AT PSA LISTENING OUT THERE ???

I am! And I want to personally thank Gordon for all his help in the room, not mention that he drove Travis and I to the airport on Saturday. What a help!

Paul or Gordon,

Could you please tell me who makes the stands the BHK and P10 are on in the Montreal show picture? Being on the early adopter list for a pair of BHK monoblocks I want to have everything in place before the amps arrive. Also any recommendations on economical balanced interconnects would be appreciated. My run from source components to amps will be approximately 10 meters so price is a consideration. On the other hand, I can go with a high quality speaker cable run (again recommendations appreciated) since the distance from amps to speakers will be approximately one meter.

I wish I had found out that information but I did not. My apologies. The cables were Kimber and they were great!

Paul, do you know which Kimber kables you used? I’ve been a fan of their lower end cables but never had the gumption to try the mega bucks ones. My system is getting less and less complicated so it may be time to try some “real” cables.

Paul McGowan said
frank7036 said I'm new to PS Audio having only purchased a PWT & DSD 10days ago. I'm enjoying the equipment and sound quality however I find that when connecting the DSD direct to my power amplifiers that I cannot get the volume that I sometimes want. I tried going through my pre-amp but there is a slight loss in SQ so I prefer the direct approach. Will this amplifier cure my volume issues? If not, what pre-amplifiers do PSA recommend?

regards. Frank

Yes, welcome Frank! Can you check to see that the level control is set properly? Go to the tool icon in the upper left corner of the touch screen and make sure the attenuator is in the high position and let us know. If it is and you are using the volume up to 100, which I have never heard of anyone doing, then perhaps the amp is a low gain one.

Certainly the BHK connected directly to DirectStream has more than enough gain for even the lowest recordings.

Hi Paul

thank you for the nice welcome. I checked the level control and it is set to high. The times that I’d like slightly more gain Im running the DS at 100. Going direct into my valve mono-blocks i was thinking that this may simply be the lower output of the amps which are each 45w @8ohm. However this shouldn’t be the case for my SS ME1400 which is >150w/ch @ 8ohm but I still find I would like some extra oomph. I stress this want of extra volume occurs only occasionally but I often run the DS at 100 or close to it. A lot depends on the recording and it occurs often when playing tracks from my laptop/JRiver (vol set to max) to DS. Could it be an impedance issue? The ME pre-amp output impedance is 2ohms (yes, two) and the maximum V is 10v.

Best regards. Frank

DenisD said Paul or Gordon,

Could you please tell me who makes the stands the BHK and P10 are on in the Montreal show picture?

They look a bit like Sistrum stands to me.

I should have said “for example, the ME Pre-amp has o/p imp of 2ohm and max V=10v”. Anyway I guess I should take this to the DS forum.

cheers. F

pmotz said Paul, do you know which Kimber kables you used? I've been a fan of their lower end cables but never had the gumption to try the mega bucks ones. My system is getting less and less complicated so it may be time to try some "real" cables.
I sure don't and I should have. My bad. We used it all, power, speaker and interconnects and they were wonderful.

Could you please tell me who makes the stands the BHK and P10 are on in the Montreal show picture?

Stands were Custom Design

http://customdesign.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

I have a pair of Sistrum SP-101s for sale if you are looking for great stands.

frank7036 said
Hi Paul

thank you for the nice welcome. I checked the level control and it is set to high. The times that I’d like slightly more gain Im running the DS at 100. Going direct into my valve mono-blocks i was thinking that this may simply be the lower output of the amps which are each 45w @8ohm. However this shouldn’t be the case for my SS ME1400 which is >150w/ch @ 8ohm but I still find I would like some extra oomph. I stress this want of extra volume occurs only occasionally but I often run the DS at 100 or close to it. A lot depends on the recording and it occurs often when playing tracks from my laptop/JRiver (vol set to max) to DS. Could it be an impedance issue? The ME pre-amp output impedance is 2ohms (yes, two) and the maximum V is 10v.

Best regards. Frank

No, I don’t think the impedance is the issue and it must simply be the sensitivity of your speakers and the amplifier. DirectStream can output as much as most preamplifiers slo that is why it works well with most of what’s connected. Unfortunately in your case, the combination seems a bit low, which is unusual.

I don’t suppose there is any way to use the balanced outputs of DirectStream? That will give you an extra 6dB of gain.

Rob H. said

They look a bit like Sistrum stands to me.

It looks like Custom Design. Here is a link to the magazine article that shows this.

I use sistrum stands to great effect and will try this smaller one that used to be under my turntable when I get the amp. It worked wonders under my Turntable until I went with active suspension.

I also have Sistrum speaker stands that worked amazing well on my former speakers and now are under my subs since my mains have dedicated stands.

sistrum.jpgCR1-speakers-and-sub.jpg

Paul, Gordon, and Rob,

Thank you all for the info. Unfortunately, the amp stands aren’t Sistrum or Custom Design. I checked their websites and they don’t match any of their products. I did find another by Audio Strata and sent an inquiry to them. Thanks again for your help.