BHK Mono first listen

Dean said The delivery guy was shocked at the weight of the boxes, as he is usually delivering hearing aids to my office.
I bet.

Your Moskido amps so fascinating. Reading a bit after googling the name was great fun.

Welcome! And please keep us posted.

Well, this is supposed to be my review of my 300s. When the amps arrived at my office, I unboxed them and fired them up for a couple of days, at the office. Before the amps came home with me, we were struck by a flash flood in central Iowa. My basement had 5 inches of water come up the sewer. My Sanders 10c speakers took on water in the transmission line woofers. They are drying out upstairs and I don’t yet know if the high voltage electronics were damaged. The basement has been gutted and de-carpeted for repairs. And…the Broskie amplifier was apparently turned on and sitting on the floor. It was destroyed.

I wanted to provide some comments about the amps, so I moved my DeHavilland tube preamp and Tascam dsd recorder (with some nice 2l double dsd downloads) and my Focal 706V bookshelf speakers upstairs into my small living room. But…the Focal speakers were connected to the failed amp. Apparently, when the underwater amp failed, it left dc offset across the focals, because the woofer voice coils are frozen. Just when you think it can’t get worse. And the speakers were fused!

Here is my review for now. The amps look great and are built like tanks.

It could be worse. If the BHK 300s had arrived a little sooner, they probably would have been on the basement floor when the water came and they might have been destroyed.

I will get another pair of bookshelf speakers here so I can take a listen.

Oh, crap! I am so sorry, that’s a disaster. Sorry about that.20_gif

A pair of monos just went to Hong Kong to the HiFi show in Radar Audio’s room and Patrick Li, of Radar, sent me this extraordinary photo. I just had to share.

BHK_mono@radar-8.JPG

Damn!!! These must be the only pairs in Hong Kong :( I just got my Wilson Audio Sabrina’s sans amp … and off to listen to some Aesthetix Atlases tomorrow to finalise the deal …

Why … oh why … 20_gif20_gif20_gif

Dean, that really really sucks. Hope you have flood insurance (even though it won’t make up for what you’re lost, plus the incredible hassle). Hope you’re back up and running in some fashion soon.

sicklehut said Damn!!! These must be the only pairs in Hong Kong I just got my Wilson Audio Sabrina's sans amp ... and off to listen to some Aesthetix Atlases tomorrow to finalise the deal ...

Why … oh why … 20_gif20_gif20_gif

Turns out that’s not a HIFI show they are actually in Radar Audio’s showroom in Causeway Bay. The room looked so beautiful I figured it was a show. They are on display now for anyone wishing to hear or see the beautiful BHK monos.

Hi guys, boy are you all in for a MAJOR suprise! Remember that first time you heard a truly high-end system? That’s how I felt once I got these suckers warmed up!Paul is not exaggerating! Within a couple of hours after powering them up the amplifiers already sounded better than any amplifier I have ever owned. I am truly enamored by the sound! Words cannot describe what I experienced yesterday when listening to the amps an order of magnitude better in every way than any other amplifiers I have ever owned.

A sense of pride in the design, built quality and sonics becomes obvious upon inspection. Furthermore, it’s obvious that P.S. Audio did their homework before building this puppy. Even the packaging was ingenious, they are double boxed and strapped. Unbeknownst to me, there was a very good reason for the outer strapping, unfortunately I didn’t figure it out until I unboxed the second amp. Lol. The design of the packaging allows you to totally unpack the amp without having to lift it out of the box. What a pleasure after spending the past 20 years lifting 100 pound amplifiers out of the box.

My designated room is custom built to my specifications. My walls are built with a resilient channel, double walled with green glue in between. I have 16 inch acoustic science corporation bass tube traps in every corner that reaches to the ceiling. The front and back walls have custom wall panels, both side walls have custom panels which have a 60/40 ratio of absorbtion to diffusion. The acoustics are about as good as you can get or that I have heard up to date. I get phenomenal imaging and sound staging in my room. Now that I have added Paul’s amps to my system I understand what he is talking about with respect to space. The noice floor has lowered substantially, which lends itself to a much blacker background. The soundstage has increased another 30% in size to the point where there is a sonic illusion that reaches outside of the walls of my room. Crazy huh? The instruments are substantially more isolated from the other instruments and there is a “sound envelope” around each instrument. From a video standpoint, it would be like getting a new television that has a contrast ratio of 10,000,000/1 .

more to come Dr. Andrew Collen/ the Audio Surgeon

associated equipment speaker- Maggie 3.7i with bass panels. Emerald physics 2.7. Emerald physics 4.3. Diffinitive technology super towers, walsh ohm A’s, walsh ohm F , 2-super cube reference subwoofers

amplifiers- bhk 300 monos, pass labs xa-100.5,

preamp- pass lab xp-20, mg audio custom tube preamp,

digital source- ps audio

dsd- with oppo- 105 used as transport

analog- audio surgeon custom turntable with teres rim drive motor,tri-planar tone arm, myabi 47 labs cartilage, ps audio phono

cable- mg audio, audio quest, supra.

a slew of power conditioners headphones electro static and dynamic and other midfi amps and bookshelf speakers not worth mentioning

Paul McGowan said disre A pair of monos just went to Hong Kong to the HiFi show in Radar Audio's room and Patrick Li, of Radar, sent me this extraordinary photo. I just had to share.
when and where is the show? Is it open to the public?

…disregard, just read #127

Yeah, sorry about that. Their new showroom looks so nice…

There is the big show in HK in August.

Great first post Andrew! I’m looking forward to your comments as the new amps settle in. Sounds like you have a great set-up (I’m really jealous over the room).

stevem2 said Great first post Andrew! I'm looking forward to your comments as the new amps settle in. Sounds like you have a great set-up (I'm really jealous over the room).
For sure. Awesome everything.

Although I’m simultaneously totally conflicted - I want this setup in my living room (not happening); and I don’t want my living room to be in the basement (also not happening). I just cannot be away from the speakers / amps / DAC / music for a long time anymore.

Gee, if the BHK mono’s are making that difference to a setup like that (Andrew’s) … well, gee …

acollen said The soundstage has increased another 30% in size to the point where there is a sonic illusion that reaches outside of the walls of my room. Crazy huh?
No matter how many times I experience this, as well as a soundstage that extends deeper than the back wall, I am still mesmerized.

@Elk: I still still have issues with my soundstage. What audio system do you have (especially loudspeakers)?

Soundstaging is primarily the room and speaker placement, not equipment. Room treatment is an absolute must, beginning with absorption at the first/early reflection points.

stevem2 said Great first post Andrew! I'm looking forward to your comments as the new amps settle in. Sounds like you have a great set-up (I'm really jealous over the room).
Tu very much for the compliment Steven!where do you live?

acollen said

Tu very much for the compliment Steven!where do you live?

I meant as far as location in New York.are you in Manhattan?

Paul McGowan said Yeah, sorry about that. Their new showroom looks so nice...

There is the big show in HK in August.

So Paul, how many more how many more posts do i need to make to leave “Newbee” status lol

acollen said

So Paul, how many more how many more posts do i need to make to leave “Newbee” status lol

Apparently, more than 4 21_gif

Andrew, I work in midtown Manhattan and live in Forest Hills, Queens. Are you in the area?