BHK Mono first listen

So Paul, how many more how many more posts do i need to make to leave "Newbee" status lol
I think it's 25, so get posting! We love hearing from you.

+1 Post away!

stevem2 said
Andrew, I work in midtown Manhattan and live in Forest Hills, Queens. Are you in the area?

Most of my extended family is from NYC.Brooklyn and Queens.18 first cousins,4 aunts and 4 uncles.I am very close to my cousin Warren, presently, he lives in Roslyn.he is like a brother to me.Furthermore, he is a devout Audiophyle. once a year,my wife Kathy and I take a road trip to visit.I bring my favorite audio gear for him to audition on his system and go shopping at all my favorite audio dealerships in Manhattan. My next trip, i will be bringing the BHK monos and pauls Line stage if i have it at the time i go.you are welcome to meet us over there if you want.

Hi Guys,

I have been playing my BHK Mono’s for approximately 200 hours. At this point in time they are JUST NOW STARTING to show their magic again. I have noticed that there is a “break in” phenomenon with new audio equipment. I have noticed that after say 10 to 20 hours of playing a piece of equipment,it phenomenon with new audio equipment. I have noticed that after say 10 to 20 hours of playing a piece of equipment it gives you a “preview of comming attractions” from then on, forget about it until you have about 150 to 200 hours of playing time and roughly 300 hrs. For full break in running frequency sweeps and powering down the electronics every 50 hrs or so to recycle the caps.(which, im told are the last parts to break in)at this point in time in my audio career, if i havent broken in 100 pieces of equip. I havent done one.

The Amps. Are EXTREMELY quiet.Much quieter than i expected in lieu of having a tube front end.the noise and distortion levels sound non-exhistant.I contribute this to the jet black background that this amplifier presents.not only can you bear the point image of each individual instruments in their own space, but you can hear a separation of the ambient retrivial between each instrument. This is a phenomenon that I have never experienced before.The other very salient feature of the amps Is the Bass control this amplifier has. IMHO there is more to this aspect of the amps. Than its ability to produce a tremendous amount upon demand.IMHO, the current delivery is secondary to the

amount of regulation of the powersupply.

Thanks for the generous offer Andrew. I may take you up one of these times (if you think of it PM me when you’re planning a trip). You must really love your cousin if you’re going to haul a pair of BHK monos to his place. Tony22 lives in New Jersey but has an audiophile buddy on Long Island that he visits periodically. Maybe we could have a mini meet. Or meet at a favorite dealer. (Mine is Innovative Audio Video. They don’t carry PSA equipment but I usually end up buying my speakers from them, after listening at many of the other local dealers.)

My experience with the stereo BHK 250 is similar. The absence of background noise was almost startling.

I’m in!

Innovative. When I was living on the Island I used to go there and spend afternoons with Elliot when they were in Brooklyn.

My first visit to Innovative was also to the original Brooklyn store. I had been dealing with one of the snobbier stores in Manhattan that couldn’t always be bothered to actually let me listen to equipment before buying. I went to Brooklyn looking for a new amp/pre-amp. The salesman (Bob Lampione, who is long retired but handed me over to Bruce Deegan, who has been great over the years; I’ve had just two salesmen over a 25 year period so I guess Elliot treats his people well), set me up in a room with my brand/model speakers (nice coincidence they carried them) and three or four amps/preamps, let me listen for a couple hours while just coming in occasionally to switch equipment and answer questions, and then didn’t expect me to buy anything. I ended up buying my first separates on that visit (Exposure amp and preamp, still have them in the basement). I’ve never had a bad shopping experience there. Too bad they don’t carry PSA products.

Sounds like my experiences there as well. A nice bunch of guys that didn’t (and I assume still don’t) have that “you’re not as smart as we are” attitude.

Anyway, enough OT discussion.smile

Just been notified the monos have left Boulder, CO and are on a Fedex truck heading to my residence. Exciting stuff!

Excellent and congratulations!

I’m the guy who had his basement damaged by flood waters a few weeks back before my BHK 300s arrived.

Things are heading toward recovery, but the basement will not be back together for a few weeks. The Sanders 10c electrostatic speakers won’t fit upstairs, so my bookshelf Focal 706Vs are all that I can use. Except that they blew up during the flood when the old amplifier failed. When I forgot to turn it off before I went to bed. Got all that?

Today, a new pair of Focals show up, costing not much more than the quote on replacement woofers. And yesterday, a Directstream dac is delivered by the FedEx man. Thank you Ted Smith. And my DeHavilland UltraVerve tube preamp, not watered by mother nature, is connected in the system.

Cut to the chase…The little Focal speakers, powered by the BHK 300s, DeHavilland, and DS, sound more engaging than the Sanders 10c speakers with the old Broskie hybrid amp and Sony HAP-Ze1s server. No kidding. It just makes you smile and draws you into the music. It is dynamic, clear, musical, engaging, spacious and 3D, non-edgy, just happy sounding. It sounds right. Not clinical, but soulful. And that is playing redbook CDs.( I installed the beta Yale software) I have lots of Channel and 2L DSD recordings that haven’t been played yet. I haven’t had a chance (nor the space) to connect the tape system (modified Otari MX-5050 with DeHavilland tube playback electronics, with a number of The Tape Project 15 ips half track tapes) Nothing practical about tape these days, but I believe you would be stunned by the sound.

I can’t wait to get the Sanders system back together, but in the meantime, the tunes are still good! Thank you, Bascam!

Congrats on getting the place sort of back in order. And thanks for letting us know your initial thoughts on the BHK amps!

stevem2 said Thanks for the generous offer Andrew. I may take you up one of these times (if you think of it PM me when you're planning a trip). You must really love your cousin if you're going to haul a pair of BHK monos to his place. Tony22 lives in New Jersey but has an audiophile buddy on Long Island that he visits periodically. Maybe we could have a mini meet. Or meet at a favorite dealer. (Mine is Innovative Audio Video. They don't carry PSA equipment but I usually end up buying my speakers from them, after listening at many of the other local dealers.)

My experience with the stereo BHK 250 is similar. The absence of background noise was almost startling.

Hi Steven, he is like a brother to me. Sounds like a plan Steven. We will make it happen when the time comes. Most likely ,late winter-early spring

BHKs-1.JPGBHK 300 humming away in the basement. I’ll give them 2 hours to warm up before reporting first impressions. Moving and unpacking was a breeze. Much lighter than I anticipated. Push ups paying off. IPhone pic a bit grainy.

Looks good!

Nice! Looking forward to your review.

eddor… Very nice! So, you have a separate P5 for each mono…? It looks like three DS DACs!

These are three DS dacs. I have a multi channel system. I have shunyata Triton / typhon for power conditioning behind the rack. I sold my P5s. This turned out to be lateral move.

Just a few very quick first impressions. My incumbent amps are Spectral 360 DMA Series II. I am using the Spectral DMC 30SS2 as preamp. I have active woofer cabinets in my speakers, so only driving mids and highs. However, since the BHK amp feed drives the bass amps some impact on bass is to be expected.

Cold out of the box, the BHK amps had good timbre, but sounded a bit thin and smaller than the Spectrals.

With 12 hours on them (which is now), they can easily hold their own against the Spectrals (not trouncing them - yet), and I can happily live with the BHK monos. Spectrals will go on Audiogon this evening. Highlights, more refined highs than the Spectrals, beautiful timbre (I hear more wood with string instruments) and tons of details. Image size and 3D presentation is now about equal as Spectral. Things can only get better.

I’ll give an update in a few days.

That’s pretty high praise indeed. Things should only get better.