BHK PRE and 300 Sounding Dull

I’m using a P12 and nighttime does sound better. It may be that I am more relaxed and my concentration is better at night so it can be psychological. But I think it’s also not so much power is on to corrupt the electricity and the ambient noise is down since the world around you have gone to sleep. This is also true before I got the P12 so the P12 helped but did not entirely eliminate this phenomenon.

to audiophilehi

I bet you switched from Mutiwave to Sinewave without realizing it. I think Sinewave sounds dull as hell in my system.

Hi Darren…which multiwave setting are you using?

Setting value of 4 on my P20

Thanks Darren!

Up to this spring I was playing with Audionet DNP and Audionet AMP mono’s to B&W 802DII. With a really great sound. As a fun experiment I bought a pair of JM Lab Aria Point Source speakers as this was a 90’s dream of me. After completely improving and modifying these babies are so much fun that I decided to sell my Diamonds. The sound is much more open, transparent and dynamic than the B&W’s. But one thing is not perfect. Even though I replaced the old Kevlar inverted dome by the very latest spec Titanium inverted dome I could find on the market, the high frequency are not as silky as the Diamond tweeters in the Bower & Wilkins. I figured a tube or hybrid preamp would compensate this.

And since my DS junior with Snowmass is so much fun I decided to go with the BHK pre where the tubes should get that little roughness off the tweeters. And that worked fine.

However as to the starter of this thread it was not an exciting sound. Maybe not really dull, but definitely not that extra bit of undefinable but pleasant sauce on top as Paul McGowan and others described. So I ordered a selected pair of the Tungsram 6DJ8 tubes that Kevin Deal describes in his video.
And with the first notes it was BAM! Yes that excitement is there. More spacious, soft but clear top end, solid bass, and not to forget the most beautiful voices. It might be just my combination but this is so much better than the standard tubes. Definitely worth to try. In the meanwhile I have some other tubes to roll but the sound of the Tungsrams is so good that I haven’t changed a thing since the Tungsrams. :slight_smile: