BHK Pre Problem

So is the preamp firmware still not end user upgradeable?

Is the HT volume level problem fixed?

It just arrived in Bolder today but f/w is not user upgradeable I’m pretty sure.

That is correct. It is not user upgradeable.

That’s my understanding as well.

^ Yes, and I want to find out if it’s worth the trouble of shipping the BHKpre home for updates.

I’ll give you my thoughts when I get mine back but when I replaced my Classe processor with an Integra it was much louder, such that I had to remember to mute first, so I guess you may get diff results in your system.

I wouldn’t bother. Pretty minor stuff.

Not that this is a problem but I here a click when turning the volume at 42 and 52, anyone else

It’s normal to hear two clicks, one at about 50 and one below that – mine is more like 35. Somewhere around here is a post from Paul explaining why these occur; it’s a by-product of designing a volume control that has the least possible impact on the sound quality. I can’t reproduce more details from memory.

My BHK Preamp is the same. Heavy click at 25 and 52. If using single ended connections I hear a series of low level clicks as the volume is increased; as I predominately use balanced connections I don’t hear any low level clicks… The musical qualities of the BHK Preamp are truly incredible… In my system I use a pair of BHK300’s and a 250 and they performed effortlessly - utilizing the DS volume control but, ‘they really delivered by the bucket-load when I introduced the BHK Preamp’… I just get lost in the music !!

Dirk said If using single ended connections I hear a series of low level clicks as the volume is increased; as I predominately use balanced connections I don't hear any low level clicks...
I had the exact same experience when I moved from RCA to XLR cables -- the low level clicks were no longer audible, just the two louder ones.
I just get lost in the music !!
Oh yeah
rogerdn said

Will do.

Hi Roger,

What was the eventual outcome of your BHK pre-amp display fault…!? I haven’t slept for weeks worrying about it

Don’t really know details as I didn’t ask, but it’s working now so apparently needed replacement.