BHK Preamp Headphone Buzz while Volume Display Is On

Thanks. I will definitely try different sets of headphones.

I normally use XLR4 cables that I make for myself. The 1/4" cable I used for the test was also my build. I can’t see how that would make a difference. Both of those types of cables work or don’t.

My BHK PRE is silent, Audeze LCD-X

1 Like

Oh thank goodness someone else weighed in. I was starting to wonder why it was just me. Whew!

Thanks @msaladino22!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for weighing in. I will see if I can send mine in. Hope they have a fix for it.

1 Like

Forgot to mention Moon Audio Black Dragon cable on the Audeze and also have Sennheiser HD600 with Cardas Cross cable. Neither have any hum/buzz sound.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I actually have a HD600 on the way. I just wanted to try a higher impedance can than the current low ones I have.

The buzz is only when the volume display is on. But, even when I dim it, there is a level of current noise that I had not heard on any other DAC or even a PC. Some people say it’s the characteristic of a tube preamp. This is my first tube pre and am trying to decide I should just accept it as a feature or if something is indeed not working properly. You and vkennedy61’s comments lead me to believe that it’s supposed to be dead silent.

2 Likes

If this is just happening while listening to headphone’s definitely send it in for a check up! Bascom (RIP) was a great headphone designer and I’m positive there is supposed be no noise going out to the headphones.

1 Like

I just received my HD600. Guess what? It’s dead silent. Even with the volume display on, the buzz is gone, but only a tiny level of electric noise that you have to pay attention to. When the volume is dimmed, it’s absolutely silent.

HD600 being 300Ohm headphones, it makes sense that low-impedance cans are not suitable for tube preamps. But, msaladino22’s, Audeze LCD-X and vkennedy61’s Sony Z1R and ZMR are all low impedance cans. I am not sure why my unit will make such a distinct noise when low ohm cans are plugged in. I will definitely keep the HD600 and save the shipping cost and the repair time. I was planning on getting a pair of LCD-X or Focal Clear, but that plan is on hold until I figure out the source of the noise.

2 Likes

How do you like the 600’s?

The only reason I sold my 800s was the need for closed back. The 800 was fantastic.

1 Like

It’s only been a few hours, but I am absolutely loving it. I think BHK/DSD has a way of bringing the best out of these cans. I’ve been comparing the sound on the ESS Saber and AK4458 on my Marantz, and there is a big difference. I think I will try a pair of HD800S next. Originally, I was planning to pair my BHK with Audeze LCD-X, but with them being only 20Ohms, the buzz/hum will be an issue. Love to hear from msaladino22 as he owns both HD600 and LCD-X. For now, HD600 is absolutely silent and all the tube goodness comes through very well on these cans. People say HD600 is weaker on the bass, but I wouldn’t want any more bass than what I am getting out of them at the moment. Very neutral and balanced. No harshness or brightness at all. The soundstage is very close to the ears. Intimate and immediate. I was told that HD800 had a much wider and deeper soundstage.

1 Like

I didn’t hear the 600, but the 800 was the second good pair that I purchased after the AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon. The 800 was amazingly wide and deep. But the best thing about them for my big head was the comfort. I could wear them for hours and never be fatigued.

1 Like

I love my HD800S (one of three pairs of headphones I own). Tailoring the sound a bit with my Decware ZROCK2 I can get the best headphone sound I’ve ever heard. (I’m a relatively poor guy in this forum, I haven’t heard headphones that cost thousands of dollars).

The 800S stands up head to head with any headphone.

1 Like

I have owned the HD600’s for many years, once I have received the LCD-X’s I really don’t listen to the HD600’s anymore. No comparison, LCD-X is way better. So much more detailed, bass extension, so much more musical. The only reason I broke out the HD600’s was to see if I would get any hum noise you were describing. Both headphones are dead silent with the BHK. I believe the headphone section is all solid state.

2 Likes

Is this the final answer on this? Is there a solution in the works or are we just stuck with this issue?

We do not currently have a solution in the works.

I suppose one workaround for this buzzing issue is to use some low sensitivity headphones that will lower the noise floor and hide the buzz. The buzzing does not increase when the volume is increased so maybe. Even with the higher sensitivity IEMs that I have right now the buzzing is inaudible once the music starts.

To those who mentioned turning off the display… How do you do this? I can only dim the display in mine. What am I missing?