BHK Preamp tube rolling

In my opinion, there are a number of tubes that better the Tungsram in the BHK preamp. Amperex 7308 and Brimar CV4003 to name a couple.

The far less expensive MATSUSHITA / NATIONAL PCC88 / 7DJ8 is reported to be very good too, though I’ve not tried them myself, yet.

For me, tubes boil down to preference and room/system synergy.

Completely agree. I’m not a big fan of the Tungsrams when using my BHK pre. There’s something about them that’s a bit fatiguing.
I really like the Cifte 12AU7’s that I mentioned above and certainly the Amperex 7308’s.
I find Upscale a reliable source.

Just changed the stock BHK250 & BHKPRE with Kevin “select” tubes the beginning of JAN, 2019 and they sound great after about 400hrs. Also, added the Herbie’s Rx-9 tube dampener for the BHKPRE and SS-9 for the BHK250. So easy to change, I think I will try another flavor as a birthday treat next summer.

Do you find the Herbie tube damper’s make a significant difference? I’ve been thinking of picking up a pair. Herbie’s decoupling gliders under my speakers made a huge difference.

@knecht - I made these changes all at once; beginning of JAN, 2019:

1. Added BHK PRE between DSD & BHK250
  2. Added Rx-99 tube dampeners - BHK PRE
  3. Added “select” tubes for BHK PRE
  4. Added SS-99 tube dampeners - BHK250
  5. Added “select” tubes for BHK250

The rational for all at once changes: will be changing the PRE/AMP tubes at the same time the next time, based on the BHK PRE tube life readout. I turn the PRE/AMP ON/STBY the same time daily.

PSA BHK PRE was brand new when I changed the tubes the beginning of JAN, 2019. At first was not impressed; however, after ~400hrs the BHK PRE really sounds amazing. So, to answer your question, I don’t know. I can tell you this much, adding the BHK PRE between the DSD & BHK250 sounds amazing for all the reasons Paul & Bascom site in videos and this forum. These changes after ~400hrs helped the SQ quite a bit.

Speakers - I had Herbie’s fat dots under my S3/SHO REL subs and went to SVS isolation feet and that improved the bass sound over the fat dots.

Components - I had Herbie’s fat dots under components, then went to Isoacoustic Bronze and Bordeaux pucks (DMP, PRE, DSD, Sbooster plinth, and AMP). That was an SQ step up when I did that change.

1 Like

If you like the Amperex 7308’s keep your eye out for some Brimar E88CC’s - not as expensive as the Brimar CV4003’s have gotten and a different sound. I love the Cifte’s 3d sparkle in my setup - but I keep coming back the Telefunken 6922’s for longer listening sessions. They have a wonderfully balanced sound in my current system.

I agree about the Tele 6922’s but they’ve gotten so expensive that they need to get the coffee going for us in the morning—and they don’t. The last pair I had was a long time ago, when they were roughly half the current price and they were wonderful. After about a year, one went milky and I never replaced them.

It seems that the general consensus is that NOS tubes are the best, but what about new tubes? Have people been rolling them in besides what PS has put in from new? Does anyone have recommendations for new tubes?

Cheers

Fleabay!

The dampers do make a difference. The amount of improvement is dependant on the tubes. More microphonic and livelier tubes sound a bit more relaxed. Worth the $$$ IMHO.

I did try the National 7DJ8s. I thought they sounded similar to the Tunsgrams but perhaps had a bit more top end energy and maybe a higher distortion profile. That might have just been the pair that I had though.

Interesting. I’ve never found the Tunsgrams to be fatiguing but there might be some aspect of their presentation that doesn’t appeal to your tastes which is a all part of the cool thing about tube rolling! I have used some of the really highly regarded tubes in my BHK and found myself underwhelmed.

I suggest buying tubes from tube sellers (who sell as a business) unless you have a tube tester to verify if the vacuum tube is actually good. Lots of defective tubes out there that people are trying to peddle. They may even work for a brief time. Most of these tubes offered are stated to be untested. The ones that I’ve purchased on ebay with stated readings have for the most part been good tubes. Some have not. On ebay, look at the feedback for comments.

tubeworld.com are also a good source. I have no affiliation with the BTW just good experiences!

Here’s a wealth of knowledge and a good source:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

I put a set of current production Mullard 12au7s in my BHK Pre. I think they sound better than all the NOS tubes I’ve tried. Nice balance, top to bottom.
Kyle

I put in a set of current production Gold Lion 12au7 genalex in my BHK pre. I find them to be slightly more detailed than the Mullards. Great sound, quiet too. I’m beginning to think NOS tubes are a waste of money!

I didn’t realise they are still being produced. Where did you get them?

post is now removed

1 Like

Thanks! Will take a look hopefully they can deliver to the UK.