Booting a PC from a vinyl record

I wonder how he produced the boot record. And more importantly, do you receive satanic messages if you play it the wrong way around?

2 Likes

In the comments he says it was cut by a third party.

I like this: ‘Next up: fax machine!
Print out the kernel on to paper, feed it via fax to the cassette port.’

2 Likes

A low-tech thin client.

Another thing in those comments, I did not know that the Eastern Block countries had radio stations that broadcasted home computer software in the 80’s. Never had those in Finland, at least not to my knowledge. We shipped hacked C64 SW on floppy disks by mail.

Nobody cared about hacking and sharing the SW which in principle should have been protected by copyright laws but some guys got burned by laws on postal fraud. You apply a thin, transparent foil on top of the stamp so that you can just wipe off the ink and reuse the stamp. Serious offence at the time it turns out to be.

1 Like

teletext in the uk was used to broadcast BBC micro software in the uk :slight_smile:

With BBC Micro you had a sort of decent Basic. With C64 one mostly learned awful programming style. Had to unlearn all that when studying computer science later on :wink:

1 Like

There is this. Can finally have the company Christmas party karaoke sessions released on vinyl!

1 Like

Oh man - need me one of those!

Is that a vinyl release of the karaoke sessions or the Phonocut machine you are talking about?

I hope he’s using a virus scanner before loading that software. :rofl:

1 Like

Both! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like