Bricked by DirectStream while attempting to perform Torreys Update

First off, I absolutely love my DirectStream, it is without question the best DAC I’ve heard.

And being that I enjoy DSD, it was a no brainer purchasing one last year.

I should also mention I am not technically inept, far from it…

So I recently became aware of the Torreys update. I downloaded the update, cleaned the Yale SD card on my PC and then copied and pasted the Torreys files to the SD Card and then safely ejected the SD card.

First indication of a problem :

When I re-inserted the SD card and turned the power back on the back the screen displayed upside down… but that’s not all. The light did not flash before hand.

I waited 20 minutes, then tried it again. Unplugged everything. Re-inserted the power cord (A/C button off) then inserted the SD card and then I turned the A/C button on.

Only then I got the front power light blinking (indicating the update), but it kept blinking for an hour without the screen coming on or anything.

I turned the A/C power off on the back and on my third attempt now my DirectStream won’t turn on at all!!!

I have tried everything but it won’t turn on, no screen, no lights, nothing. So the power supply inside the unit probably crapped out.

FWIW, I am using my DirectStream with a PowerBase and the short power cord that comes with it connecting it to the PowerBase, and my DS has the Bridge II installed as well.

Please help!!

Thanks,

Emil S.

NJ, USA

You probably need the rescue firmware having the force load onboard. When this process is done you may yet again try to load the Torreys.

You can find many references to this herein.

Just in case you need the link to the DS rescue file, it lives here and is also under Resources > Downloads > Download Software and Guides. I’ve certainly needed to use it a number of times.

Good luck!

emilsejr said First off, I absolutely love my DirectStream, it is without question the best DAC I've heard.

And being that I enjoy DSD, it was a no brainer purchasing one last year.

I should also mention I am not technically inept, far from it…

So I recently became aware of the Torreys update. I downloaded the update, cleaned the Yale SD card on my PC and then copied and pasted the Torreys files to the SD Card and then safely ejected the SD card.

First indication of a problem :

When I re-inserted the SD card and turned the power back on the back the screen displayed upside down… but that’s not all. The light did not flash before hand.

I waited 20 minutes, then tried it again. Unplugged everything. Re-inserted the power cord (A/C button off) then inserted the SD card and then I turned the A/C button on.

Only then I got the front power light blinking (indicating the update), but it kept blinking for an hour without the screen coming on or anything.

I turned the A/C power off on the back and on my third attempt now my DirectStream won’t turn on at all!!!

I have tried everything but it won’t turn on, no screen, no lights, nothing. So the power supply inside the unit probably crapped out.

FWIW, I am using my DirectStream with a PowerBase and the short power cord that comes with it connecting it to the PowerBase, and my DS has the Bridge II installed as well.

Please help!!

Thanks,

Emil S.

NJ, USA

Did you upgrade or purchase a new DS? If you upgraded, did you do the Bootloader upgrade that came with the kit. If not you would see the the logo light blink forever. email me at dennis@psaudio.com and we can help you.

Dennis

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses it is much appreciated.

My DirecStream was purchased new as a DirectStream, it was not an upgrade from a PWD II and it came with the Yale software.

So last night not even a light would come on at all when I flipped the A/C power switch on. Now the light blinks once and that’s it, no more lights, no screen coming on… nothing.

The rescue firmware is loaded on the SD Card and the SD Card I’m using is the one I got with the Bridge II kit that had Yale on it.

I wiped it and put on Torreys, when that failed I wiped it again and it now has the Rescue Firmware.

So now, not only do I have a corrupted file system/firmware, but potential power supply issues as well with my DS.

Last night I thought it could be a fuse since no light would come on at all, but since a light now blinks only once, it rules out a fuse.

My PowerBase works fine as it powers up another unit which works fine, also have tried direct plugging the DS to a wall outlet without the PowerBase and get the same, one blink and no more lights and no screen.

I really don’t know what else more I can try I’ve tried everything!

This is immensely frustrating. A unit of this stature should not be this fragile.

I think using a USB to PC Virtual COM port connection is a better option than using SD for Firmware updates…

Emil S.

Emil - Unfortunately such problems sometimes occur and can be very frustrating, but the good news is that PS Audio will definitely work with you to resolve it. I suggest that you contact Dennis as he suggested above and they’ll get you going whatever it takes. Hang in there!