BRIDGE and JRIVER PWD or DS connecting to Bridge

Hi Gordon,

This is probably the wrong Post and you must be buried in demand for your time but here goes; I just need help/direction/guidance, if you can:

1. Had my PWDII for two years and used my “house pc” and on board hard drive with EMM to my my bridge and loved the sound until EMM just quit on me.

2. I have a MacBook Pro and want to dedicate it to the bridge along with outboard storage, but don’t know where/how to do it.

3. Was directed to JRiver for mac by PSA but notice from posts here that it is buggy and I am not very literate, etc.

4. Paul’s recent “How To” is for usb input, not bridge which I still want to use, if I can via my Cat-6 network.

Any guidance or direction if and as you can will be greatly appreciated and I apologize for this selfish “hijacking”.

Thousand Thanks, John

Hi John.

This is harder to write when already set up but if you have any problems I can follow up with you on the phone.

Here is how I am set up.

Mac to Router by ethernet cable and PWD/DS to router aslo by wired cable. [wireless is problematic but can be ok with a bit of work].

JRIVER for MAC- I find version 19.0124 to be the most stable so far.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88609.msg607715#msg607715

1/ Download and install JR on your Mac. [pay or 30 day trial also available]

2/Open JR and go to HELP/UPDATE CHANNELS and select STABLE.

3/Your Bridge [name depends on what name the Bridge has] or could be called PSA DAC etc, will show up as a player in the left column.

If not, try rebooting your DAC by the switch on the back.

4/Single click to select Bridge and go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/MEDIA NETWORK. Click on USE MEDIA NETWORK TO SHARE…

5/ A NEW SCREEN WILL APPEAR. CLICK NEXT. Another new screen so click NEXT again.

6/ A new screen with “access key” will appear. Write this code down for future. It is case sensitive. Click NEXT again.

7/ A screen with "configure media network will appear. Select AUDIOPHILE 24 BIT and click finish.

8/ another new screen. Select ADD OR CONFIGURE DLNA SERVERS.9/ Under AUDIO make mode-ORIGINAL and format-24BIT.

Advanced should read-STEREO DOWNMIX. Near the bottom of the page is another ADVANCED. Click on it and put a check mark in DLNA and DLNA EXTRA.

If you have a Direct Stream DAC then also select BITSTREAM DSD. Click OK.

(/ You are now back on the options page. Select LIBRARY AND FOLDERS in the left column. Make sure that RUN AUTO-IMPORT has a check mark in the box. Now click OK

10/ now go to TOOLS/IMPORT and select CONFIGURE AUTO IMPORT and click on NEXT.

11/ At the top right click on ADD and browse to your Audio files that are either on your HD or an external drive connected to your Mac by USB or Firewire. [ you can select the whole drive or only the folders that you want JR to see.] select MODE and select INCLUDE THIS FOLDER…

Select AUDIO under IMPORT THESE FILE TYPES[not the others.] Click OK.

12/ The folder you selected should now be visible in the box under FOLDERS. Under TASKS, put a check mark in- build thumbnails, get cover art, update for external changes, fix broken links-YES, and write file tags when analyzing. CLICK FINISH.

13/ If your library is not already importing then go to TOOLS/IMPORT and select AUTO IMPORT AND THEN NEXT.

THIS SHOULD LOAD YOUR LIBRARY.

Select Bridge in the left column and the audio.

Your library should be visible and is continuing to build the album art.

While you wait for it to finish go have a beer.

This is really great G. Pretty much matched my settings (I had checked “specified output” on your 8/ which seemed to pad 16-bit files to 24-bits but I just went to “original” which seems to just pass everything through as is). One thing I’m not sure about is whether these settings would convert FLAC to WAV in the Mac or if the Bridge would be doing the work (the DS just shows “PCM” with the sample and bit rates). Also, how about a similar post with the settings for JRiver Mac with USB connection?

With “original” selected it should pass whatever the file is in the library without alteration.

JR would be wise to publish better set up info and a clear statement on what each selectable option actually does.

For me it was trial and error.

USB set up is pretty much the same with a few added goodies in the DSP and playback sections.

I have a practical implementation question in case the Bridge II will be an outboard solution;

Will it have an USB output or an HDMI (I2s) output for use with the DS, or will it come with an adapter that fits into the Bridge slot of the DS? If it is the first one, then the DS Bridge slot will only matter for those who intent to fit their Bridge I inside.

Nothing has leaked, that I know of, from the PSA tent on this.

My own logic would be an internal Bridge that is simple, cheap, gapless and has programming potential to “connect” with any streamer, either with something like WaveStream or other “stream all” protocol. This would make streaming a PNP solution for anyone with a PWD or DS.

An external box could have all common in/out capabilities as well as the PSA mapped I2s, a digital lens and external power supply option. It would be really cool if it also did the "any format in-to- 10xDSD as well, but maybe that is an idea for the MKIII box?

Gordon, don’t know how you can possibly have time to be so helpful but I am indebted to you. This will surely get me off and running. Thanks very much!

John

Thanks Gordon! Great work. I’ve now added this as a How To so you can point people towards that in the future.

My recollection was that Paul had talked in the past about possible internal and external options for the new Bridge but I have no idea where things stand. He mentioned a while back that the hardware was coming along but he didn’t say which approach (and it’s usually the software that holds these things up it seems). Which basically means I have nothing useful to add. Again.

…but thanks for trying and remembering! The Bridge II is coming along nicely and the first iteration of it will be the same form factor as it is now, and internal card. That’s what we’re now auditioning and making changes to. The hardware’s on its second round and the software is being worked on. As you suggest the software (or as it’s called at the office the 4-letter word CODE) is being worked on and good progress is being made. Gapless works great. Whew!

Once this is in production and proven out we intend to make what we call internally a “Bridge in a Box” so that anyone wishing network access to the their libraries and DACs can have it. But the internal card’s next up.

Paul McGowan said ...but thanks for trying and remembering! The Bridge II is coming along nicely and the first iteration of it will be the same form factor as it is now, and internal card. That's what we're now auditioning and making changes to. The hardware's on its second round and the software is being worked on. As you suggest the software (or as it's called at the office the 4-letter word CODE) is being worked on and good progress is being made. Gapless works great. Whew!

Once this is in production and proven out we intend to make what we call internally a “Bridge in a Box” so that anyone wishing network access to the their libraries and DACs can have it. But the internal card’s next up.

Great.

I like this approach!

Yay!

Paul McGowan said ...but thanks for trying and remembering! The Bridge II is coming along nicely and the first iteration of it will be the same form factor as it is now, and internal card. That's what we're now auditioning and making changes to. The hardware's on its second round and the software is being worked on. As you suggest the software (or as it's called at the office the 4-letter word CODE) is being worked on and good progress is being made. Gapless works great. Whew!

Paul, Thank you for this update – sounds great! I am looking forward to replacing my current Bridge I.

Gordon, do you have any thoughts about the issue of gain/volume? I have seen a post from Paul suggesting that somewhere between 60-80 on the PWD is probably the best range for the DAC – but what about the Jriver MC volume? You can’t disable the application volume in DLNA mode as you can through the standard PLayer interface, can you? Setting the volume to the Bridge (which is my normal approach with digital volume control) to 100 makes my system clip.

I am using a PC not Mac, but still any thoughts would be helpful-

Tim

gordon said Hi John.

This is harder to write when already set up but if you have any problems I can follow up with you on the phone.

Here is how I am set up.

Mac to Router by ethernet cable and PWD/DS to router aslo by wired cable. [wireless is problematic but can be ok with a bit of work].

JRIVER for MAC- I find version 19.0124 to be the most stable so far.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88609.msg607715#msg607715

1/ Download and install JR on your Mac. [pay or 30 day trial also available]

2/Open JR and go to HELP/UPDATE CHANNELS and select STABLE.

3/Your Bridge [name depends on what name the Bridge has] or could be called PSA DAC etc, will show up as a player in the left column.

If not, try rebooting your DAC by the switch on the back.

4/Single click to select Bridge and go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/MEDIA NETWORK. Click on USE MEDIA NETWORK TO SHARE…

5/ A NEW SCREEN WILL APPEAR. CLICK NEXT. Another new screen so click NEXT again.

6/ A new screen with “access key” will appear. Write this code down for future. It is case sensitive. Click NEXT again.

7/ A screen with "configure media network will appear. Select AUDIOPHILE 24 BIT and click finish.

8/ another new screen. Select ADD OR CONFIGURE DLNA SERVERS.9/ Under AUDIO make mode-ORIGINAL and format-24BIT.

Advanced should read-STEREO DOWNMIX. Near the bottom of the page is another ADVANCED. Click on it and put a check mark in DLNA and DLNA EXTRA.

If you have a Direct Stream DAC then also select BITSTREAM DSD. Click OK.

(/ You are now back on the options page. Select LIBRARY AND FOLDERS in the left column. Make sure that RUN AUTO-IMPORT has a check mark in the box. Now click OK

10/ now go to TOOLS/IMPORT and select CONFIGURE AUTO IMPORT and click on NEXT.

11/ At the top right click on ADD and browse to your Audio files that are either on your HD or an external drive connected to your Mac by USB or Firewire. [ you can select the whole drive or only the folders that you want JR to see.] select MODE and select INCLUDE THIS FOLDER…

Select AUDIO under IMPORT THESE FILE TYPES[not the others.] Click OK.

12/ The folder you selected should now be visible in the box under FOLDERS. Under TASKS, put a check mark in- build thumbnails, get cover art, update for external changes, fix broken links-YES, and write file tags when analyzing. CLICK FINISH.

13/ If your library is not already importing then go to TOOLS/IMPORT and select AUTO IMPORT AND THEN NEXT.

THIS SHOULD LOAD YOUR LIBRARY.

Select Bridge in the left column and the audio.

Your library should be visible and is continuing to build the album art.

While you wait for it to finish go have a beer.

Hi Gordon

I downloaded and installed JRiver MC20 (20.0.216) for Mac and JRemote for iPad a few days ago.

My set up; Mac running OSX version 10.8.5, iPad is iOS version 8.4.1, PWD I version 2.4.3, Bridge I version 0.2.14a. My music is stored on a Synology NAS. The Mac, DAC/Bridge and NAS are hard wire connected through the router. I have set a static IP Address for the Mac, Bridge and NAS.

I followed the set up instructions you have posted and have double-checked a few times to make sure I didn’t miss a step.

I’m experiencing problems with the MC 20 staying connected to the Bridge.

When using the JRemote I am seeing two problems (which I’m guessing are interconnected) that occur after one or two tracks play. Play stops and:

1. An error message on the MC tells me the DLNA connection is lost. The DAC is no longer listed in the “Playing Now” tree on the left side of the MC 20. Of course JRemote no longer sees the Mac. When I check the network I find that the Bridge is still connected to the network.

-Or-

1. MC 20 has crashed and a Crash Report page is shown. The DAC is still connected on the network. It also seems that when the error message mentioned in #1 shows up, if I do nothing within the MC 20 app (just let it sit), MC 20 crashes a few minutes later. However, I am not clear if this is always happening.

In troubleshooting this, by looking through the JRiver forum, I have made two changes to your recommendations (one change at a time):

Change One: I turned off “run auto-import in the background” in the Tools > Options >Libraries and Folders tab. This was a suggestion found on the JRiver forum. However, it did not make any difference with the DLNA spontaneous disconnection after one or two tracks.

Change Two: (I left the “run auto-import” in the off position) I changed the DLNA setting to Generic in the Tools > Options > Media Network tab, as recommended in the JRiver DLNA Support Wiki.

With this last change things improved. Now the connection lasts for maybe 10 to 15 or so tracks before crashing.

I notice that you recommended MC version 19.0124, but this was written awhile back. Is MC 20 less stable then MC 19, and should I change/down grade to MC 19?

I am pretty much a novice here and obviously need help. Thanks for the support.

Dennis,

There have been a number of other threads here about Bridge/JRiver issues. See in particular the posts from amsco15. Here is perhaps the most important one:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/bridge-ii-reviews/page-4/#p47941 and find post #96.

You can read his earlier posts if needed also. Hope this helps.

Hi Dennis

That was an old post of mine.

The latest version of JR 20 works fine for me so you can set the auto update to “Latest Stable Version” and get the latest if you have not already. I tried 21 but had some issues and went back to v-20.

set the Bridge [via the front panel] and PC back to dynamic IP and unplug DAC, Router and PC for a few minutes.

Reboot them in order router, pc and then Bridge after each one has fully awakened. Try the Bridge with the new IP to see if it is more stable.

Magister’s link above is also helpful.

gordon said Hi Dennis

That was an old post of mine.

The latest version of JR 20 works fine for me so you can set the auto update to “Latest Stable Version” and get the latest if you have not already. I tried 21 but had some issues and went back to v-20.

set the Bridge [via the front panel] and PC back to dynamic IP and unplug DAC, Router and PC for a few minutes.

Reboot them in order router, pc and then Bridge after each one has fully awakened. Try the Bridge with the new IP to see if it is more stable.

Magister’s link above is also helpful.

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the info. One question; I have a Bridge I and I thought I had remembered from some time back (before Bridge II) that you had recommended setting a static IP on the Bridge and PC (Mac in my case). My memory ain’t what it used to be so maybe I confused.

magister said Dennis,

There have been a number of other threads here about Bridge/JRiver issues. See in particular the posts from amsco15. Here is perhaps the most important one:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/bridge-ii-reviews/page-4/#p47941 and find post #96.

You can read his earlier posts if needed also. Hope this helps.

Thank you magister. I will review amsco15’s posts.

Resetting to a dynamic ip is just to give the Bridge an opportunity to select a fresh and unencumbered IP address. The then rebooting of Mac, router and DAC gives them all a fresh connection and hopefully, handshake. Once all is up and running you can then set the new IP to static if you wish.