Buzz in speakers with BHK Pre

I use 3/4” shield for my cable, but you can use smaller depending on the diameter of your cable. The shield is expandable so you could get a smaller size. I tape both ends and shrink wrap it.

Very cool
Looked up XLR online…7mm
So bought .25 inch
Think 7mm is .27
Great to hear it stretches
Cheap enough so if it doesnt work no huge loss.
Thank you for the tip
Tom

1 Like

Jealous
No sun , here, in the PNW

1 Like

Rain, rain, clouds, rain, clouds, rain…at least I am getting my money’s worth out of my lightweight shell.

1 Like

Yep
You are in Wash right?
Funny when its partly cloudy for 45 mins people go nuts about the great weather

Wash is too normal for me…Portland :wink:

I’m on the dry side of Idaho, and this year you can’t tell the difference between the Palouse and Puget Sound—wet and wetter!

Thank you so much @Serhan, today I’m turning 50s, ah!

2 Likes

I’ll whip up a Pan di Spagna and eat it in your honor. Buon compleanno Luca!!

1 Like

Thank you Vince, then you need a good Passito wine with it! Cheers

1 Like

Cool
Been in PDX since 94
But live in Lake Oswego now

1 Like

We’ve thought about moving to Lake O on and off for years. Now that the restaurant scene is starting to pickup there, it’s even more interesting. We do have our priorities. :plate_with_cutlery:

Ah, the big 50! Wishing you may returns of the day in great health and happiness.

1 Like

Would encourage u2 do so. Lived in Ladds addition SE PDX for years but given how PDX has changed over the years places like Lake Oswego are a nice alternative…this im sure you know.

1 Like

Thank you Serhan, I still find happiness in little things and this is a gift I appreciate so much, best wishes.

1 Like

Did you notice some sonic difference? I would try (if I find on EU Amazon) them too on Iconoclast UPOCC XLR from SPP to BHK Pre and from BHK Pre to M1200s but I love so much the sound they provide that I’m afraid the shield might alter their performance.
My aim would be only to eventually reduce or eliminate at all a subtle white noise from speakers, more evident listening LPs, preserving the characteristics of these cables that I love.

Yes, there were quite a bit of difference. Because the shielding eliminated a lot of noise from my turntable system, I hear more micro detail and also made the whole picture is a little clearer.

The interconnects are WyWires Diamonds which just walked all over my former WW Platinum Eclipse 8’s in detail and clarity. Only problem is it also pick up more noise than the WW because it has bad shielding. The RCA’s from the turntable to my phono stage made the most hum and buzz. The balanced XLR from preamp to amp didn’t make that much noise, but there was still a little I can hear when I’m close to the speakers. The shielding eliminated that little noise from the XLR’s that was left.

I have compared many, many ic’s, and the WW Platinum Eclipse 8’s are really better than most other ic’s, and are super quiet. They didn’t need any type of shielding at all. Only thing is the WyWires Diamond is in another class as far as sound quality goes. It’s way better!

1 Like

I wanted to provide

an update on some troubleshooting I did today.

I feel as though this points to some interference between the pre and the M1200.

I removed the BHK pre and M1200’s from the rest of my equipment and plugged them in on the other side of the room. (please see picture)

I had the M1200 connected to the BHK Pre via XLR connector.

1. When I powered up just the M12oo’s there was no Buzz in speakers. Just a very faint hiss.

2. When I first powered up the BHK there was only Buzz in the right speaker. I moved the pre and Right M1200 around and ended up with Buzz in both speakers.

3. In an effort to eliminate the XLRs as the issue I then connected the Pre to the Amps via RCA connector. As before when just the M1200 were on there was no Buzz. when I turned on The BHK Pre the buzz was in both speakers and it was much louder than the XLR’s.

4. Lastly I changed out each of the components power cords but doing this did not change anything

5. There is also the feedback hollow metallic (best I can describe it) when I move interconnects or components. This noise does not seem to be coming from the speakers. It occurs when I use both the RCA and XLR’s

SO I think there is an issue (mechanically) with the Pre or an issue with the Pre being near the M1200 (which seems odd given products made by the same company intended to be in close proximity to each other.)

Anyone find any flaws in my deduction?

the odd thing continues to be that for a month the noise went away when I moved the pre out of the rack. As mentioned I moved it again and ran into the buzz again. I tried moving it back to the quiet spot but couldn’t get rid of the noise.

Thanks for any input

Did you look at the boards behind tube/ as I mentioned before?

no…honestly to intimidated but ill screw up my courage…bizarrely now that i put the bhk and m1200 back in the rack in the very same place there is now buzzing just in the left channel now…so odd. But I guess it duplicates what happened when i pulled those components out of the wrack and isolated them. Seems that the BHK cant be too close the the M1200.
does this lead you to believe the boards are ok?