Cable Sutra - Whisper Power Cord, Common Ground Cables

I also think that the Elites cables are going in the good and the very good way.
Regarding the question of sound openness, I have no complaints with MBL 101 MK2…
Their “weak point” is to make the sound “dense” and improving the focus helps a lot.

Woah! Openness should not be too much of a challenge, I would guess.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the famous MBL omnidirectional drivers in person, but I have often wondered if their sound might not be too diffuse if not set up properly, given the way they propagate a sound wave.

Regards.

The 3rd Elite cable has finished its run-in.
After several tests over two days, the results are better if it is connected between the wall and the DC Blocker than on my amplifier.
The second is connected between the DC Blocker and the P20. The third is plugged into my modified Oppo player.
The cumulative effect of power cables is confirmed.
With these 3 Elite cables my system is quieter, more natural and the extremities (bass and treble) are more readable and articulated, the improvement is equivalent to a change of a component.

2 Likes

Glad you’re loving it Fred! Thanks for the update. I admit when I learned of your DC blocker, the first thought I had was that we want to continue the Whisper’s ground scheme all the way from the P20 to the wall, as its role is to effectively transfer all the RF collected at the P20’s star ground directly to the wall and out to earth. I.e. it should maintain the same impedances to entice the current to flow down the ground. So two Whispers would be ideal, although an investment. I am glad you found the ideal locations, and that together they’re working to full potential. And of course, that you’re engaging with your music and your system even more!

Hi @Vmax You mentioned in the Powerplant tweak thread you received some updated PCs back - didn’t want to go off tangent in that thread, so I thought I’d ask what you had updated.

I just picked up one of his latest elite PCs with the shell-on-ground updates.

For these latest have you adjusted the width or thickness of the tuning rings? I’m hoping to test a bit this weekend, so wanted to check on any “tweaks to the tweaks.”

Many thanks in advance as always.
Mike

Hi Senna1a,

My update was still just base whisper with ground burn in and the black carbon weave covers. So far sitill running the elite and case with 2 inch tuning rings 1 index finger. I am starting to struggle with new video board absorber tweak. So going to try some moves if tuning ring. A 1 and 3/4 wide tuning ring is too then but open like the P20 video board mod. I think 17/8 wide is narrow as I might go. I run my Dragon on 13/4 tuning ring. I will try to bump that up to 2 inches. Or 17/8 wide.

1 Like

And Mike my experience has been 2 inch on the cable from the wall, but I’ve been doing 1 3/4 inch on other things like switch LPS, DAC and preamp with good success. Length is just enough to make one and a half turns, loosely around the cable. I’ve been using a thin strip of small bubble wrap wrapped underneath it and a Velcro strap around the outside to keep the ring in place.

3 Likes

Please share how the shell on ground updates sound compared to other Whispers you own.

I think my P20 video board 3M on ICs will stay. It seems my new MC1.25 KW amps hit a burn in turn last night. After more run time the bass solidity with fleshed out nuances returned with no tuningrting positioning changes

2 Likes

@Vmax and @Duncan_Taylor thank you on the ring tips and tricks. I had to send my P15 back in today as the screen went out, so I will not have a full setup to test at the moment, but once it’s back, I will share back.

1 Like

Bummer about your P15. Do you have a backup plan while you wait for the repair?

I have a Transparent PowerWave X in pseudo-standby in my office system. If our P20 failed and I needed to move the Transparent temporarily into it’s place, I have a Dectet in a box to use in the office.

That’s a solid plan. I have my all components on the sidewall that will be fed via my P10; with the P15 removed, I will run my Monoblocks directly into the wall, so I’ll still be able to listen. I just will not be able to do a true before/after compare until the P15 is back.

Hey, you’ve got other things to work on! :grin:

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I guess your P-15 is still out. I took some time to mod my Whisper power cable collection to connect a RF drain for the conductive black sleeve. It is a Huge improvement! I made sure to lay some song selections before and after. I just used copper tape with conductive adhesive. But yes it works incredibly well.

Everything is on key and more live sounding. No detrimental changes. So my prediction is you will love the prettier mod with the RF drain internal. @Duncan_Taylor these Whisper Power Cables kee giving it up with better sound!

1 Like

Is this the same golden wrapper you are talking about? It works great on quite a few of my PCs.

1 Like

Thanks - that’s great to hear. I have a FedEx number now, so looking forward to the P15 this week.

1 Like

It is a short 4 inch piece extending from conductive sleeve to the male grounding plug. Just an amazing difference. I know it is working ans it is not just Iconoclast SPTPC series 2 speaker cables. Since I listened before and after. Together they have an amazing synergy.

1 Like

Ok, that is less copper than my Full Monty. I will not change anything on mine then.

No this tweak is only for Whispers with black conductive sleeve. But it sure is a huge improvement.

Got it, good that I asked. Thanks!

1 Like

By any chance is it techflex flexo anti-stat? I have that covering a couple Gotham DC cables & might need to give grounding it a shot