Can't play DSD dsf with Melco N1A/Minimserver

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this question.

I bought a Melco N1A, installed minimserver on it, connected to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC Jr using ethernet (i.e., using Melco N1A player mode). The problem is that I can’t play any .dsf files. Please advice.

zheng4 said

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this question.

I bought a Melco N1A, installed minimserver on it, connected to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC Jr using ethernet (i.e., using Melco N1A player mode). The problem is that I can’t play any .dsf files. Please advice.

In Minim Server there is a configuration which you can use to tell Minim how to handle .dsf files. Typically it is under System. The parameter is stream.transcode. You need to specify there dsf:dopwav.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sourav

I am a very novice user. Could you please give me detailed instruction how to do that? Thanks.

I have not used Melco.

But in principal in Melco if you are able to install Minim server you should be also able to install Minim Watch. After you start Minim Watch there should be a way to go to Properties as link/dropdown/tab. Once you click that you should get various tabs (or something equivalent). One of then should be System tab.

Beyond this I believe you have to ask Melco support to help you understand how you can configure Minim in Melco.

Regards,

Sourav

To add to what Sourav said:

You must install MinimStreamer, which is an optional add-on to MinimServer. Go the Minim website for downloads and instructions.

Once you’ve got MinimStreamer added, tell it to send dsf files as DoP, which is required when using the Bridge. Under System properties, in the stream.transcode field add the setting “dsf:dopwav” (no quotes).

The thing I cannot tell you is how to access the Properties when using MinimServer on a Melco. If MinimServer is installed on a NAS, one uses the MinimWatch applet on a Mac or Windows machine for this. Since I don’t have a Melco, I don’t know whether MinimWatch works with Melco or whether one must do it some other way. If this isn’t covered in the installation instructions for Melco, go to the MinimServer forum and ask how to enable the DSD to DoP transcoding. Simon (the developer) is very helpful. I know there are threads on the MinimServer forum about using Melco (which I haven’t read) – you might check those also.

Remember that the Bridge is limited to single-rate DSD (DSD64).

[long quote snipped]

Good catch Magister. Yes on the fly dsf to dop conversion is the feature of MinimStreamer. Without that installed it won’t work.

And also asking Simon is surely recommended. He is very helpful.

Regards,

Sourav

Thanks, I will ask Simon. In the meantime, you stated that you installed minimserver on NAS, MinimWatch on mac or window, what about MimiStreamer? Also installed on mac or window? I guess I need to find a different way for Melco. The reason to use a Melco is to avoid the need to use a computer, to isolated the local network from Melco to PS Audio DAC.

MinimStreamer is a component of MinimServer, so it is installed where you have MinimServer, on a NAS (or the Melco, in your case).

MinimWatch only serves to control MinimServer by changing settings or doing things like telling it to rescan because new music has been added to the library. It does not affect MinimServer while it’s playing – you can have the computer with MinimWatch turned off while you listen, for instance, as I regularly do.

Does the Melco connect just fine to the DS Jr. (and Sr.) via USB? I’m thinking of getting one and I don’t have a Bridge II in my DS Sr so the only option would be to connect it via USB.

I haven’t tried the USB connection myself, but knew many others did. However, some reported they favor the Ethernet connection. The new Melco N1A Mark II is supposed to have a better USB port.