Center image WAS driving me crazy!

Thanks, this is the other side of the medal!

I’m totally in “work in progress” mode until next March when I schedule to change a few things of my room: symmetrical side walls, new acoustic treatments, dedicated lines, ampli on the front wall and sources on the side wall, etc etc. All wife approved (that is the hardest thing, you know, because it implies she has to move away a zillion of her things like books, little - unused - objects and shoes).

As for speaker disappearing abilities I have Sonus faber Olympica Nova III (they replaced Dynaudio Evoke 50 and 10) never experienced other models in my room before. My room is probably too small (18 x 12 x 8) too. But I’m very happy when they totally disappear (also the left one I mean). Even if my sweet spot is not as wide as it could/should. I’ll tell you after my new room project is finished, if stars are aligned within a few months.

1 Like

Another day with sound that shines (even if it’s raining outside) perfectly balanced. And a big smile on my face. I’m playing my reference albums from Qobuz and PST and it’s wonderful when the joy of music let you forget any critical listening to find out imperfections.
Left is left, behind the speaker and right is right as usual. Voices in the center very palpable and realistic. Am I found the sweet spot? The definitive speakers set up?
Just taped the floor to mark all the positions.
Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

It’s always a journey to find the “sweet spot” :hot_face:
For reference, I used the setup as recommended in manual.
However on dealer’s advice hired someone with the necessary knowledge and measuring equipment to determine the best setup in “my” space.
This resulting new position deviated considerably from the recommended initial situation.
This is one of the best (cheap) investments in SQ gain.

1 Like

It’s also a journey (without navigator) to find again the lost sweet spot in my recent experience! LOL

2 Likes

PJ Harvey has a great cover of this. It’s on Rid of Me which by way of recommendation was produced by Steve Albini.

2 Likes

Useful experience to be shared with you.

My room refurbishment is so close and I just started removing “things”: books from furniture on the front wall and a wardrobe on the back wall. It’s still a room with couch, rug, acoustic treatments here and there, not a naked room at wall, but the changes in sound I’m experiencing are dramatically big.

• the now empty shelves behind speakers are creating an increased distance. This makes the speakers totally disappear, even the left one that I described above in this thread.
  • the now empty back wall makes bass totally different, with annoying resonances
  • the general lack of stuff in the room makes the sound incredibly alive, vivid and the center image more present (even if on the other hand less focused and detailed)

More things I’m taking away from the room and bigger are the differences I’m hearing. It’s a new experience for me, during last years I only added objects, treatments and so on.

I must pass through various steps: removing all, working on electrical infrastructure and rebuilding all in a new way… in summary. My journey just started right now and the first impression is that ROOM is the most important thing in this hobby considering how it can alter and impact the sound, more than any other component cable or speaker I ever had the opportunity to test before.

To be continued…

10 Likes

Welcome to the club, Luca! :+1:

1 Like

Good luck on your Journey. I’d love to follow the progress. Perhaps you can share photos as it goes along?

1 Like

How it looks now

How it will look at the end

11 Likes

The future room looks amazing. I put down a note when I visit Italy, I must stop by to listen to yours. I’ll bring wine!

1 Like

You are more than welcome, keep your luggage lighter… I have a few bottles here for you and your wife (not 600 but enough for a dinner!)

1 Like

Too generous :+1: it is hard to find many Italian wines you mentioned before. Remodeling is a headache but in your case it could be enjoyable!

1 Like

Shapr3D App on iPad… inch by inch for a few months… I’m a meticulous guy and my carpenter is building each pieces on my scratches (he’s very patient and more meticulous than me). Acoustics panels and diffusers are made on request too. Not to mention the electrical lines and new panel. Hours and hours designing all details.
Symmetry is my obsession in this work!

What was the most difficult and expensive part? Wife approval, of course!

Best ideas came after a few glasses of wine, the one I happily share with you!

3 Likes

I envy you! I know this is going to be a fun project for you. Enjoy! Time for me to go to the driving range to hit a few balls. Golf is my other obsession, and it is healthier and cheaper!

1 Like

@luca.pelliccioli - Has what you been experiencing as you remove things from your room begun to influence the future design?

1 Like

It is confirming the plans I made with my acoustic consultant…

Side walls will be entirely covered from floor to ceiling by these panels (hand made after measurements and mounted like sliding panels of 7x2 to let access the room from different entrances I need to “cover” only during listening sessions) with membranes only for bass

they have a metal internal frame on edges that allows the application of magnetic diffusors on the surface like these

and these

I’m using them already and I know they work very well. I love the flexibility to mix at my pleasure absorption and diffusion thanks to this technology.

The front wall furniture is designed from scratch to store LPs (depth is exactly 13’’) and CDs (you see orange colored in a vertical pair of raws), with diffuser panels behind the speakers and 2 gotham diffusers in the center

I already have acoustic panels on the ceiling and the back wall is the compromise I needed to accept with my wife: a new wardrobe I completely redesigned (to store… to store… I don’t remember what, you know wives never have enough space for their things even if you build a new house)

Just behind the couch (I ordered brand new one too to have a better and comfortable sweet spot seats both if I listen to music in the center when I’m alone or 2 listener when I’m with my son) I keep the furniture already exiting, that I personally designed 2 years ago to store 800 CDs each single place with a removable little shelf. A really nightmare for my carpenter!

The room is 19x13 h 8 and all the amount of panels is needed to tame bass issues, I’m experiencing right now once I started moving away things. Long story short, to answer your question… I’m pretty sure I’m on the right way.

All the electrical lines are new with a new dedicated panel and ground. Also for internet there will be a separated dedicated fiber line, used exclusively for streaming and without any wifi. A sort of wifi free zone so to speak!

My only doubts were about too much absorption that could create a dead and high analytical room but the acoustic engineer is pretty sure that the final result with magnetic diffusers will offer me the opportunity to tune the sound following my tastes.

As always, happy to receive suggestions from experienced members like you.

2 Likes

This looks fantastic. I am really looking forward to following your journey.

1 Like

probably

BUT, irrelevant

1 Like

It’s probably the biggest investment I have ever done in my audiophile journey, as for money, time and effort needed!

1 Like

ROI is high with this project. Difficult to truly measure quantitatively, but when time in use and personal satisfaction are considered, it may turn out to be one of your better personal investments.

I am certain the ring you are buying your wife will have a similar calculation.

1 Like