Countdown to rewriting the textbooks again - JWST launch imminent

If you’re exhausted by the apparent vapidness of our cultural, political, etc newsmakers, click that link.
Give your faith in the human brain a lift.

3 Likes

Funny you should mention that [and I totally agree with you].

Having grown up during the 1960’s, I can’t help but be reminded of the great Yogi Berra quote: ‘It’s Deja Vu All Over Again’.

The Cold War, the Vietnam War, the Cuban Missle crises, the USS Pueblo incident, the Soviet Invasion of Czechoslovakia, the near revolution in France, the domestic riots, the political assasinations, the massive shift in cultural norms/arts/science/politics/civil rights, environmental awareness…etc, etc.

The biggest distractions from all that, for me, were baseball, music and NASA.
I’ve long since lost interest in baseball and sports in general; but with the incredible worldwide advances in space/astronomy/physics/science/biology - it’s got me riveted for more and wishing for another 60 or so years of longevity to see it all through.

If Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick were here now to witness this, I’m reasonably sure they’d be both amazed and horrified.

3 Likes

They are getting close!

2 Likes

Not the latest and greatest, but close! This may interest many here:

4 Likes

That’s cool. Thanks

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/04/28/nasas-webb-in-full-focus-ready-for-instrument-commissioning/
JWST ready to begin instrument commissioning, we are quite close to first science images

7 Likes

I was just checking that out. The tracking indicator is near the end of the line. :grin:

1 Like

My whole mental image of the universe has changed this year. I U-tube JWST everyday!
FUN!

3 Likes

For some reason it almost feels like the excitement before the first moon landing.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this amazing video!!

Best wishes

1 Like

That’s awesome :sunglasses:. Thanks!

1 Like

No, you guys started me looking, but yes the JWST is going to be very cool to follow :+1: :+1:

Something doesn’t add up, those are optical images not Infrared and the latest images from JWST on the NASA site does not show any of them. I think this video is a fake. He goes on to show images of Jupiter in his next video also claiming they are JWST images which is definitely not real.

3 Likes

Virtually certain the video is a fake, no JWST images other than sensor commissioning images have been taken by JWST and certainly none would be in optical light which all the images described in the video are

3 Likes

Wow…you are so right…Boy was I schnukered…should’ve
known better…

The yokes on me …ha ha ha :grin:

Thanks Aiki

Best wishes

2 Likes

Dang clickbait anyway. We’ll have the real thing soon.

1 Like

@aiki14 checking webb.nasa.gov and no such images have posted to the Gov flickr page. Thanks for the fact check, I’ll check the source more closely next time :+1: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I thought they said that they wouldn’t have releasable images until June or so which is creeping up so maybe soon we’ll have the real thing from WEBB.
Hubble still amazes me with its images. There is no way for a human to comprehend the distances involved except being numbers spoken or on paper.

https://spacetelescopelive.org/latest

2 Likes

Crap. I should have known better, as well.

Still following NASA’s progress with great interest…

4 Likes

Here’s a bit of history on Hubble and WEBB

2 Likes