Crackle and dropout

Really? Why?

First off the bat, I have no direct knowledge of the Maggie/Mac pairing. That’s why I went to Mike Sastra at Audio Classics and asked him. This is what he said:

“We are a stocking dealer for both brands, I also personally own Magnepan & McIntosh so I can say the Mac amps with the auto former DO NOT work well with Magnepan. The direct coupled Mac work okay but I would look at a different brand. Maggies LOVE Current and lots of it so start there.”

A lot of forum people validated this opinion as well. That is no substitute for hearing the pairing for myself. If you’ve heard this pairing, I’d be curious to hear your impressions. If you do have this pairing, have you tried A/B ing with other amps?

Thanks. I have no experience with this pairing and don’t dispute this claim. It just doesn’t make sense to me and so I asked why. I still don’t know why but my interest is limited and just curiosity.
I have had Maggies, .7 and LRS and powered both with a Pass XA25 with very happy results.

A year ago, I was super excited about getting an LRS, then changed my mind due to the advice given by Mike and many on the interwebs.