Dealing with bass-heavy recordings

mike48 said I won't get into arguing with those who claim the cure is worse than the disease. I can only assume they are looking for different things in sound than I am.
I was only addressing your claim "If the tone controls are digital, there’s no loss at all." This is incorrect.

I am glad you are delighted with the processing you use.

1 Like
mike48 said

I suggest you read all the rave reviews of Sigtech, Devialet, DEQX, miniDSP, Holm, Lyngdorf, and TacT equipment that corrects in-room response.

There is an ART graphic equalizer on Amazon that a fussy audiophile friend recommends. It’s less than $200. It would be a relatively cheap way to find out if EQ might be for you. A fancier option would be an Accuphase DG-58 for about $8k.

Thank you for these recommendations; I have a lot to learn about this stuff.
But to correct the deep bass, an electronic approach is a necessity. You just can't do it practically with conventional bass traps.
I do know that bass traps don't absorb much below 70-80Hz, but I think I can get closer to where I want to be with some additional traps. We'll find out. The ART unit you mention might be a logical next step if the acoustic treatments just don't make it.
Elk said
mike48 said I won't get into arguing with those who claim the cure is worse than the disease. I can only assume they are looking for different things in sound than I am.

I was only addressing your claim “If the tone controls are digital, there’s no loss at all.” This is incorrect.

I am glad you are delighted with the processing you use.

Elk, of course you are right. “No loss at all” was an exaggeration. I have found, though, that in the bass especially, the improvement typically far outweighs any loss. And higher up, even minimum-phase digital filters can sound quite good when one keeps the Q low and the boost or cut not too large either. I have a digital EQ unit arriving soon with linear-phase filters – said to sound more natural – and I’m eager to hear how it lives up to its billing.

The approach I have taken is first, adjust speaker and listening positions; second, treat the room; third, EQ if one must. I find such variation in frequency response among recordings that even given good acoustics, a system with tone controls – engaged only when needed – increases my enjoyment a lot.

Mike

mike48 said I have a digital EQ unit arriving soon with linear-phase filters -- said to sound more natural -- and I'm eager to hear how it lives up to its billing.
It should. What unit are you getting?
The approach I have taken is first, adjust speaker and listening positions; second, treat the room; third, EQ if one must.
A good approach. :)
Elk said
mike48 said I have a digital EQ unit arriving soon with linear-phase filters -- said to sound more natural -- and I'm eager to hear how it lives up to its billing.

It should. What unit are you getting?

The approach I have taken is first, adjust speaker and listening positions; second, treat the room; third, EQ if one must.

A good approach. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

It’s a Weiss EQ1-LP Mk2. I found it used on eBay.

By the way, the most costly component in my system was the room itself. I designed it and had it built in our basement, with soundproofing to keep out the HVAC noise. The second most costly was the acoustic treatment, if I lump the costs of all panels, bass traps, etc. (About half of those were bought ~10 yr ago for my old location.) So I do practice what I preach!

For classical music, let’s quote this strange recording of Carmina Burana cond. by M Tilson Thomas.
I know both the score and the very most (commercial) recordings of the work, and this one is very particular for overemphasizing the low bass range. Doublebasses, drums… A rumbling that is quite disturbing because it quasi-constantly weightens the soudstage.
Actually, whatever the works (choirs, symphonies…) I know no other recording as deep and heavy as this one. Quite un-natural.
All the more, some moments are very impressive in the extreme low register.
Try Olim lacus colueram (track 13), 1’56-2’01. Not loud, but so deep and powerful (a sudden and incredible boost in the 20-50 Hz range, for a few seconds, according to my equalizer), as to really shake the walls. I first believed it was a earthquake!!!

Mostly for propulsion IMO

1 Like

made me smirk :wink:

still - an eq is a fun tool for anyone to play with, as long as it spends most of its time in bypass mode the risk of “addiction”* can be avoided.

* addiction is a serious health problem and should not be minimised, i just can’t think of a better analogy apart from maybe sugar in tea :slight_smile:

I’m just playing this CD. That must be a monster bass drum in track 13.

I’ve a large room and don’t consider things to be out of proportion (at least not what I’ve heard so far).