Did my DL III just die?

I have loved my DL III for a few years.

Tonight, I was breaking in a new vintage receiver and was chasing down a nasty hum caused by the RCAs coming out of the DL III. If I had the DL III connected to any input, I got volume-specific hum out of the speakers. If I disconnected it, the hum disappeared. I tried different input and same story.

After moving the receiver’s power plug to another circuit to see if that would remedy things, I went to reattach the DAC RCAs. Upon touching the RCA to one of the jacks on the back of the DL III, I got a spark, a little shock, and that is that. The DAC will not power up.

I’d love some help if anyone has suggestions. I know the manual says there are no user-replaceable fuses on the unit. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the fuse inside died. You might take a look inside, it’s near the AC inlet.

Thanks, Paul. I’ve opened it up and found the fuse. Can’t figure out exactly what value it is to get a replacement.

And I wish I remembered. What’s writing on it say?

I think it says “F2H 250v”

That’s a 2 amp slo-blo

Please let us know if replacing the fuse solves the problem.

I didn’t have this exact fuse in my supply, but I did have a fast acting one. I put it in and got no sign of power.

The DAC has been working fine in my previous set-up and it was only its interaction with this receiver that seems to have caused a problem.

Stupid question perhaps, but are you certain the fast acting fuse did not blow on power up? The initial current surge on power up can be sufficient to blow a fast blow fuse and the thin wire can be hard to see as blown.

Check to see if you have a potential between the vintage unit’s input and ground, DC or AC. If significant (more than a few mV) then put that sucker away. Are you in a high static climate? Did the jolt feel like static discharge or something more evil?

IMG_1802.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1807.JPGI went out and got the proper fuses. I do not think I blew the original fuse, however. I am getting 4 illuminated green lights on the circuit boards, which I assume means that power is working. But the front panel doesn’t show any signs of life when the green lights are lit. There are no sources connected to the DAC.

hanfrac said I didn't have this exact fuse in my supply, but I did have a fast acting one. I put it in and got no sign of power.

The DAC has been working fine in my previous set-up and it was only its interaction with this receiver that seems to have caused a problem.

Whatever you replace it with cannot be a fast acting one. It’ll blow instantly. It MUST be a slo-blo

Hmmm. So you’ve got power and no output after a spark. Sounding like an IC might have been cooked, I’m afraid.sad_gif

Paul McGowan said
hanfrac said I didn't have this exact fuse in my supply, but I did have a fast acting one. I put it in and got no sign of power.

Whatever you replace it with cannot be a fast acting one. It’ll blow instantly. It MUST be a slo-blo

Paul - the fuse isnt the problem. The original fuse didn’t blow. See the pics.

Probably better send it to us for repair so we can have a look. Sorry about that.

Paul McGowan said Probably better send it to us for repair so we can have a look. Sorry about that.
That sounds right.

Where do I send it and what ballpark would I be looking at, cost-wise, to have it repaired and shipped back to me? If it’s more expensive to fix it than to buy one on the used market, that would be good to know in advance. Thanks.

Probably best to give them a call and talk to Alex.

Hmmm - I seem to be unable to get any help.

• I left a voice message for Alex - no return call

• I filled out the form on the web site for a repair inquiry - no response

• sent an email to "sales@psaudio.com" - no response

Frustrating, I am certain. Try emailing Paul, paul@psaudio.com

hanfrac said Hmmm - I seem to be unable to get any help.
  • I left a voice message for Alex - no return call

• I filled out the form on the web site for a repair inquiry - no response

• sent an email to "sales@psaudio.com" - no response

We’ve been in the middle of a move for the entire company and it’s been chaos. Sorry about that. It’s no excuse and we should do better. Let me have someone contact you and please accept my apologies.