Direct Stream Jr Networking Problem

support

I have owned a PS Audio Direct Stream Jr for close to a year. I use Roon (and Roon Remote as the interface). Outside of some initial issues with Roon Remote and its stability on my network, which I eventually figured out, things have worked ok. I recently powered my system down for about a week while on vacation. Upon firing things back up, I find that the DS Jr loses connection to my network - I’m listening to music, the music skips a couple of times, then stops. When I attempt to hit play on the Roon Remote app, the DS Jr is no longer available as a zone. I believe it’s not a Roon issue, since powering the DS Jr down (by switching it off from the back panel) and letting it reboot results in it being back as a zone option on Roon Remote. I can then play music again, but only for a few minutes until the skipping happens again and the DS Jr is unavailable. While my DS Jr is connected to the Roon Core vía Wifi, this had been the case for months without a problem. Suddenly, and after having been offline for some days, it’s connection to the network is unstable. Any thoughts?

Can you tell us a little more about your configuration? Where does your Roon core reside? Do you use a NAS?

Hi. The core resides in my home office. It is a Windows pc that is on a WiFi connection to the network. The router, and the DS Jr, are one floor below. I do not use a NAS. So, basically both Cote and DS Jr on a WiFi network that is on separate floors. However, this had not been a problem before. Does that give you additional information or can I try to add more. Thanks for the reply.

Shut every thing down back to the router and bring the whole system back up one piece at a time giving each piece the time to fully come on-line before moving to the next. That should put every thing back on track together.

I tried something like that, but it seems to have also had a brief positive result. After a few minutes I got skips in the music, then an unavailable DS Jr. This may be a basic question, but does does the order of how the different parts come back online matter?

As to the absolute technical why I can only guess that going from the first piece in the chain(router) to the last (DS Jr) allows a connection in the order the stream will travel. But most importantly that is how it was explained to me to do it by the “Software guru” from Lumin and it works so that is the way I do it. Take about 10 total minutes which is usually less than trying the hit and miss method. Also setting fixed IP’s can help.

I use fixed IP addresses. The order you mention makes sense - get the network up, then what connects to it. I’ll try it again slowly and hope that gets things stable again. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like a network performance issue. Have you added anything to the network which might be interfering with your network setup.

I haven’t, but maybe it could be an issue with network strength. Seems strange that rebooting the DS Jr results in a successful connection, though. It then seems to need a reboot every time it falls off the network, as opposed to just finding it.

Just a thought but if you turn the Roon core machine off and just connect using Mconnect will it keep a steady connection. If so that may indicate that you need to boost the signal coming from the Roon machine either with a Powerline device or a quality WiFi extender that you can plug the Roon machine in to. Something like this and they have models above and below it.

I used to constantly be fideling with my network until I went to eero mesh wifi. There are several brands of mesh wifi out there. You might want to investigate if it would be beneficial to your setup.

Networks sometimes seem to take on a mind of their own. They represent one of our biggest challenges in keeping units running smoothly and without hiccups. It’s also the area where we get blamed for a lot of problems that aren’t really ours. But, that’s just life in the connected world. Our customer service guys are pretty darned good at helping out if you’d like to give them a shout.

Did you shut down your router while you were gone? If so, it may be using a new wifi channel that has interference from neighbors or other devices. Just a thought. You could look at changing the channel on the router to see if that helps. I don’t know how close you are to other wifi networks. I also am a proponent of the new meshed wifi networks. I use the Netgear Orbi because it uses a dedicated channel for satellite to base communications. I had my Roon core wire connected to the base and my Roon endpoint connected via wire to a satellite in my music room. It worked great.

FWIW…

I never let my router (or my cable modem/router) assign IP addresses (a processes called DHCP, or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). I always assign my own and track the addresses in a spreadsheet. So… some rules of thumb that will make many troubles just automagically go away…

1 - Use your own router - (don’t spend over $100 on one… the industry is just making up features to get you to spend more)
2 - Speak to your cable company’s help desk and have them turn off all WIFI/DHCP functions on their equipment… they can do this over the phone… they connect to your cable modem and make the changes. You don’t want your home router and the cable modem trying to do the same things.
3 - Understand the range of IP addresses your router will assign (through DHCP, may be called an “address pool”) and assign your own outside that range. To do this, go into your router’s configuration menus and click on the tab that has the DHCP function… you will see the range they will use. Don;t change this… because if you ever have to reset the router or replace it, you will have another task to potentially screw up.
4 - Assign IP addresses to all of your devises outside that router range, but only change the three digits (0s are hidden) on the far right of the address… usually, your home addresses will look like this: 192.168.1.89 - only change the 89 in my example.

So note I said you should assign an address to “all of your devices”. This includes the device your player is on… including your cell phone (yes, I assigned static IP addresses to all of my cell phones), PCs, tablets, printers etc.

Why do this? Because so many troubles occur after power outages or shutdowns and this can cause the brains in chips to get scrambled… it just happens this way. This is one reason why powering up your equipment in a particular order can be important… if you assign your own addresses to things, it no longer matters. You see, a “device” may store the IP address of a target device so it can easily shoot its message to them easily… when you power things down and up… well things get stupid. Ever heard this: “Honey I can’t print! Fix your stupid &##% or there will be a drought!”

With all things computer and networking, taking an ordered, conservative approach to setting things up like this just make problems less likely to occur and easier to fix. It just is.

BTW - I use only a USB link to my DAC and just avoid all of this for my home audio.
BTW2 - Networking is really complex and a sophisticated family of inter-related technologies… it has taken the industry many years to make it “easy” for home use. It is easy… until something happens… believe me, I don’t manage my network like this because I am a geek… I do it because I got sick of the problems.
BTW3 - Wireless is evil.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Below is the documentation of my home network I always keep up to date:

Yes - You are well on top of it all. I moved away from computer /network music because I was sick of problems related with them . Then I bought a DMP transport because; - well, problem free music…:thinking::sob:

So, thank you for everyone who has contributed. I am truly impressed with the diligence some of you show. Here is an update that I hope may help thinking about what’s going on here. I did two things today, 1) I went out to buy a range extender as recommended, then 2) I rebooted all the way from the router from router to DS Jr. at first it seemed things were fixed, as if the sequenced reboot had fixed the problem (I still have not connected the extender). Then the DS Jr dropped our again after like 30 minutes. The only way to bring it back was flipping it on and off from the back panel. I figured I’d test if it was a Rion core issue by running things with mconnect. Dropped out again after like 30 minutes. So, everything on my network is fine except the DS Jr keeps dropping out. And only rebooting it gets it on temporarily. I did not install the extender I bought. Important point here: the DS Jr is close in distance to the router, though the core is farther. Why is the OS Jr falling off the network suddenly? Makes no sense and I don’t get a feeling that it’s a signal strength issue from my WiFi. Thoughts?

It’s like something is enforcing a timeout with the Jr. even though it’s hardwired and it is strange indeed.

And it does something which it didn’t do before when something similar happened - there is a distinct skip in the stream, twice it seems like, then the music stops and then the dac is off. I can try the extender, but something tells me this is not the problem.

Early on when I first got the dac, I had problems making it work with the Roon Remote. The issue was, and got fixed, by getting my phone and the Roon Core off of the same router channel (2.4 v 5 ghz). There was some interference between them that required them being on the separate channels, where my phone would fall off much like the dac is now until I changed the settings. Could this be a WiFi channel issue and which should it be set to?

Sounds like a call to customer service is in order, as Paul suggests…