Direct Stream Jr. very buggy - anyone else have similar experiences?

Though I obviously can’t speak to your tastes in audio, I borrowed a Manhattan prior to buying the Junior, as I was liking the fact that it still had firewire (still have recording gear, drives and apps that do that) so I thought it might be good for both work and personal use.

I found it very shiny/bright, to reduce the evaluation to the most basic aspect. The Junior simply killed it, effortlessly. And I realised that just because I had the odd FW device, it was irrelevant.

Interesting. Thanks for that feedback. One other aspect of the MyTEK products that piqued my attention is the smaller form factors, meaning I don’t need a whole shelf or tabletop to incorporate the Brooklyn into my system. But I do very much enjoy the sound of the DS JR - and again, it may not be anywhere near as “burned in” as my old DLIII, so it may get better with time. It’s just that those quirks and bugs I listed above can get quite annoying when taken in the aggregate - or alone :frowning:

All of that said, it should be noted that none of my actual enumerated complaints concern the sound quality or listening experience. I like the unit, and am just worried I got a lemon.

I would say:
1,2,3,5 = known, and all reported here previously by some users (with my DSJ I have experienced 1,2,3 only)
4 = that’s new, I don’t recall anybody reporting that before.

1 Like

Excellent, that’s great info. In your recollection, what has PS Audio’s response/approach been in those cases? Are these just issues that other users are willing to live with or are they actual flaws/defects that PS Audio has addressed by exchanging equivalent models?

Also, any fixes that you’re aware of? I’ll do some searching in the forums now that I know others actually have experienced some of this stuff. Makes me feel a bit better.

And I’m guessing they are unusual. Don’t recall anyone having that extensive a list of problems. That is clearly a “give me another one” deal. If it still sucks, then you have answered the questions. But I kinda doubt it. ; )

I’m not sure why - maybe it is that PS is a small company in the grand scale of things, but some individuals have situations like this. PS Audio are awesome with taking stuff back and sending you a new one.

Brodric, on #4, I found a thread, so I guess that one has been discussed too…

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/from-junior-high-frequency-noise/3980/5

1. Audible hiss isn’t new. Try the -20dB attenuator.

I enjoy Sr. into a BHK preamp, no hiss from DAC just a touch from the tubes but I have to be within 2-3’ of the speaker.

My sense is that is probably associated-gear related. Most of us have had no hiss. This is not to say that there is a problem with the other gear. It’s a “synergy” or level-matching thing.

The preamp buffers probably eliminate the hiss. I am using the DS JR straight into a power amp, and a very simple DIY Hypex configuration at that. I’m willing to accept the hiss if I know that it’s not a design defect.

1 = a question of technique. Via practice I found a way that works more consistently for me (I use thumb and a slow firm press)
2 = just a minor inconvenience you need to live with. There are some other minor RC issues you’ll discover over time as well
3 = same thing happens when using a Mac device connected via USB. No fix, other than leave it on all the time.
4 = that’s new (to me), although as you’ve since found others have reported same.
5 = DSJ runs hotter than DS Sr, this is normal. But some have reported their concerns. Mine doesn’t get hot.

1 Like

Yep, but try the attenuator and see if you get a better match.

I had a Jr. on eval and liked it so much I got the Sr. Never drove amps direct though, Jr. is noisier than Sr.

1 Like

Since Redcloud, I am running my Junior directly into my home made Hypex amp. No issues or hiss.

YMMV, perhaps dependent upon speakers, etc.

1 Like
  1. LOL, yeah that’s what I’ve been experiencing. I was just curious as to whether this was some kind of mechanical flaw or some other standby mode bug.

2. I can accept that knowing it’s just a little bug and that it doesn’t affect listening/sound quality or usability in a major way.

3. Hmmmm…

4. Found a thread on the hiss. I think that when using the DS JR as a straight up pre-amp, that’s going to happen. A preamp in between the DS JR and a power amp probably eliminates it.

5. Yeah, but heat is the enemy, and I’m just concerned about longevity given the fact that several of the OTHER issues under discussion ‘require’ the user to leave the unit “ON” all the time.

P.S. - Anyone happen to know what the ASTERISK is about in the DS JR display? It seems to come and go randomly.

What is the internal config of your Hypex? Are you using DIY approved components? I happen to be using non-DIY stuff: NC500s with factory buffer boards in an entirely “stock” setup with no power supply conditioning or current inrush prevention methods (besides what is built in). For my power supply I’m using two of the channels on an SMPS3k7000.

Yeah…Ted Smith re-published a partial list of DSJ display indcators on the forum here last week. My suggestion was to write it into the owners manual.

And as has been mentioned numerous times in other threads but not here yet, it takes a solid month of continuous use to form, some believe more.

And as has been mentioned numerous times in other threads but not here yet, it takes a solid month of continuous use to form, some believe more.

Sorry, I lost track - what was this in reference to?

I think he meant, the sonic signature of the DSJ changes over time from new, it settles down after about a month.

DSJ definitely runs hot (noticeably warm). PS Audio has weighed in that the heat it puts off is ok. Personally, I don’t like the heat, so I run an AC Infinity T8 component fan on top of it, which keeps cabinet temps in the 80s (F). I had to return the first DSJ unit I bought (from dealer Audio Advisor) since it had multiple issues, and ran excessively hot. It would quit (based on my assumption) from thermal heat. After it cooled, I could restart the DSJ, but the same cycle of overheating made it quit within an hour of use. The second unit has been fine.

I think using a dedicated pre-amp is a better option performance wise than running the DSJ as a digital preamp…

If you think the DLink III outperforms your DSJ, there must be an issue.

My Junior does not run hot. I do not use Ethernet, I use a USB connection. It runs warm and I have another small electronics unit on top of it too. If I place my palms on the top surface, it just feels warm. If I put my fingers around the back, it is warmer… hot? no I don;t think so.

I experience no hiss at all. Unit is dead silent.

Front button… I have experienced some oddities like a slow response… I also have had the unit screen go black and can not be rejuvinated without off/on with rear switch.

I also had some oddities where the volume would just appear at 80.

Most of my issues went away when PS Audio had me reload the software. A factory reset was not good enough.

Full disclosure, I have at least one short term power outage a week… I know this because I get an email from my NAS saying it flipped on to battery… but the time stamps for off/on are the exact same minute.

My opinion, no science here, is that the unit is susceptible to flaking out from power oddities.

I still love the unit.

Peace
Bruce in Philly