Direct Stream Junior Upgrade to Huron

I have a DSJ which is not upgrading to Huron. I have also tried to down grade to Yale then upgrade to Huron but the Yale downgrade also does not happen. I have tried with a Mac OS as well as a PC running Windows 10.

Any advice as to what further things I can try to get the upgrade. The only thing I have not tried is another USB which I will do so later tonight.

Thanks

I have reached this same point as you, exactly. Obviously some of us have either hardware builds, software status, user technique or whatever, for whatever reason or combination of reasons, we are stuck marching time to the beat of Torreys.

Just bad luck for me, again.

I am not devoting any more time to this problem. I will stay on Torreys.

I think when it gets to this point, when the process is not working as advertised, and the work-arounds are not working as advertised, it should become a warranty issue.

Srafi. - you didn’t mention it, and they’ll ask, so did you try the “force” of any of the Peaks?

brodericj - I’ve read the PS folks asking you to let them help. Any reason you wouldn’t? Or they’re not offering warranty service?

brodricj said

I have reached this same point as you, exactly. Obviously some of us have either hardware builds, software status, user technique or whatever, for whatever reason or combination of reasons, we are stuck marching time to the beat of Torreys.

Just bad luck for me, again.

I am not devoting any more time to this problem. I will stay on Torreys.

I think when it gets to this point, when the process is not working as advertised, and the work-arounds are not working as advertised, it should become a warranty issue.

This shouldn’t be happening I will email Broderick personally.

badbeef said

brodericj - I’ve read the PS folks asking you to let them help. Any reason you wouldn’t? Or they’re not offering warranty service?

It shouldn’t be this difficult. When it does become this difficult I lose further interest and revert to other stuff.

So you will not accept PS Audio’s offer to help? facepalm-smiley-emoticon_gif

I have emailed him directly and I am still waiting to hear from him.

Dennis

Broderick - yeah - most folks would have demanded a new unit long ago. Don’t torture yourself. These people are some of the most accomodating and reasonable on the planet.

Elk said

So you will not accept PS Audio’s offer to help? facepalm-smiley-emoticon_gif

No, of course not! As always I've been flooded with assistance from all quarters at PS Audio. If it sounds like I'm not a happy customer that is simply not the case! We have worked through the support steps and we've reached the point where PS Audio has sent me a USB stick with the firmware files. This will discount any operator errors on my part. If it upgrades via the PS Audio supplied USB, great, I must have been doing something wrong. If it doesn't fix the problem, it them becomes a warranty issue for deeper level investigation.

Don’t sweat it guys, I’m not! I’m swept up in the tide of PS Audio support. I can’t stress enough how I feel like a valued customer with all the customer support raining down on me! The DSJ still works with Torreys, eventually I will catch up to the rest of you on Huron!

Wonderful to hear. I apparently misunderstood your earlier post. Thanks for clarifying.

I do suspect a deeper level issue with my DSJ, but will continue to patiently wait and see as we negotiate each support step. I was an early adopter of DSJ, missed out on the 1st production run but was lucky to score a unit from the 2nd batch. Mine shipped with Yale. When Torreys was released, my DSJ Yale>Torreys upgrade didn’t work. Dennis sent me the forced version upgrade and that did work. Now that I am safely on Torreys I can’t upgrade to Huron, and I can’t go back to Yale. Regular and forced version upgrades are just not working. So mine has a history of being problematic with the upgrade process.

Apart from an issue with the front power button not being reliable, and it waking up from sleep mode when I haven’t asked it to, or switching inputs when I haven’t asked it to, all of which are relatively minor issues, I have found the DSJ to be operationally quite robust and it does everything as expected. Which I like. Plus, the more I read of Ted Smith’s posts about the mysterious wonders of its workings makes me appreciate even more what a remarkable technical achievement the DSJ is at its price point. I also owned DS Senior, but I like Junior more. Junior was a better fit for me, both operationally and sonically. Which is why I kept Junior and sold Senior.