DirectStream DAC -> Bryston 4BSST -> Magnepan 3.7 will it work?

Hi all,
I am about to buy a DirectStream DAC and would like to make sure that the setup I intend to run will actually work. It is looking like this: DirectStream DAC -> Bryston 4BSST -> Magnepan 3.7. The reason I am asking is, that I read somewhere that one need to be aware of the loudspeakers when running without a preamp - but I don’t know what to check to be honest. So I am hoping for your assistance.
Thank you beforehand!
My whole chain is going to look like this: Tidal/Roon on Win10 PC on WiFi -> WiFi bridge -> Cable to Bridge II -> and so on.

Best regards
Dennis from Denmark :slight_smile:

Maybe I should mention that I also intend to split the signal from the DirectStream XLR outputs with two Y-cables, to feed both the amp and my Velodyne DD15+ active subwoofer.

I would think this would be a great setup. The DS certainly should be able to drive the Bryston to quite loud levels and I’ll bet this’ll be a wonderful combo. Let us know when you hook everything up.

I use the DS DAC w/Bridge II through M700’s to my 3.6 Maggies. I use a Y splitter cable from RCA outs. I would have used XLR to the M700’s and RCA to my GR Research OB subs but the owners manual says to not do this. I use the DS DAC w/Bridge II through M700’s to my 3.6 Maggies. I use a Y splitter from RCA outs. I would have used XLR to the M700’s and RCA to my GR Research OB subs but the owners manual says to not do this. I use two passive spliter boxes to separate systems. I run one of the RCA cables to IN one of the first box and the other RCA to IN 1 of the second box. For Surround I run FL & FR XLR from my Oppo 205 to IN 2 of the first box and RCA to IN 2 of the second box. I can switch from DS stereo using IN 1 on both boxes and Surround using IN 2’s.

MConnect Control is part of the Bridge II firmware. I have the MConnect Control app loaded in an iPad. This combo gives the most complete unfolding of Masters files. PSA is currently developing Bridge III which will have it’s own processing of MQA plus it will include a music server. My Maggies have never sounded so good.

Thank you for your swift answers! Then I will go ahead and buy the DS DAC :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to get it installed, since I believe it will be quite the upgrade to replace my old Denon DCD-S1 -> Thule PR200 with it :smiley:

You’ll love it. I ran my PWD and then DSD into an old 3B for years with no problems. Being a rebel without a clue, I still use both RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously and seem to suffer no ill effects on the sound.

I should add that I had to split my DS RCA outs because my subs do not have XLR in’s. If your subs do I don’t see any reason you can’t split the DS XLR’s. Like you have learned, it’s best to not have the Maggies deal with very low frequencies. I divided at 50hz.

Yes I have had the DS directly into a sunfire amp. I may have touched 90 once. And that is with the rca. I have Maggie 20.7s on the other end. Doesn’t the Bryston have some adjustable sensitivity on the back? I don’t recall. I think the 4bst did.