DirectStream DAC lid … Upgraded to XS4400 transformers

Yes,i have,but,the button is not responding…

Not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in as to why the button isn’t attenuating. I guess you can do it from the touch display, but I’m not sure how.

There is no such control on Display,only on remote,so,not sure,how to do it…What exactly this button does? Did you replaced transformers by now?

1 Like

Just check on the setup screen that level is not locked, otherwise the remote will not engage the attenuator.

Nice,you did succedeed with transformers,now you must wait with burn-in period,mine are
four weeks now…What can i do with this setup then,what’s the point?

May improve your sound… or at least reduce any noise when going directly into your amplifier. For me, however, adding in the 20dB reduced the overall dynamics and I much preferred no attenuation when connected directly into my amp. If you are not satisfied, you may need to try a preamp as others have suggested. I am yet to try it out. The only preamp I have is an older Audible Illusions Modulus 2D tube preamp. Not sure it is good enough to improve sound quality as it is more likely to worsen it.

Matt

2 Likes

I don’t know. . .those AI Modulus preamps have a very good reputation and may be a nice one to try.

1 Like

Yes, having two, an AI Modulus 3 with the MM section, and a Modulus 3A with the John Curl MC stage. Very solid preamplifiers IME. Having spare 6922 or equivalent tubes is mandatory.

As soon as my friend gives me back my spare interconnects, I’ll try it out then. :+1:

Ihave only one icon od Display and it says Sunlight settings…How can i come to that settings,which you did send on picture,must i click the remote with something,that i may come to this locked settings?

I have only one icon od Display and it says Sunlight settings…How can i come to that settings,which you did send on picture,must i click the remote with something,that i may come to this locked settings?

From the main screen… press the setup gear button in the upper left.

A screen will show up showing the unit id, firmware, etc. and a setup button

Press that button next to setup and it will take you to the screen shown from the other user.

Here you can make the volume fixed or variable. You can also lock or unlock the unit.

If the unit is locked you won’t be able to change the attenuation level from high to low.

Matt

Okay,i will try,thank you…

What is the advantage of setting the volume to variable? On my Dell desktop, I have the option of setting the internet music from 16 to 24 bit and 44.1k to 192k for the rate.

I have set attenuation to 70,but,i listen at 55 volume settings and when i click DAC level,the sound is more silent,to low for listening…And nothing changes from range 50 to 70 of attenuation…How much you have set it for?

I did set volume to100 and the sound is only more silent and it is to low for listening with attenuation,so,no use for me with that…Listenig at normal volume settings 55 is more loud without attenuation…

I didn’t like the sound with the attenuator engaged. Yes, it is quieter, but I’d rather have the more dynamic sound quality of not using rhe attenuator.

I don’t think there is any advantage to setting to fixed or variable. I use variable so I can control volume from my phone.

1 Like

I will listen now for some time this way with attenuator on volume settings 100 from 106 available,so,it’s little more louder,than normal volume control at 55 and on 106 with attenuation…I don’t know,what sense this DAC level has for the sound,it is better by PS Audio you think? I didn’t see any difference in quality of sound whatsoever and you?