Scratching my head on this:
New Stellar M700’s came Monday. I was hoping to run XLR cables from my DS DAC straight into them. When I do, I get a hiss through the speakers that is audible from my listening position.
- The hiss is at a constant volume (regardless of the volume setting on the DS).
- It goes away entirely when I turn off the DS. Comes right back when I turn it on again, even with no music playing.
- The hiss is also present, though not as loud, if I connect the DS to the amps using RCA cables.
- If I connect the DS directly to either of my other amps (a Parasound HCA 2200ii and an Audio by Van Alstine hybrid), there is no hiss whatsoever. Dead quiet.
- Today I brought home the DAC/preamp from my office system, an Audio Alchemy DDP-1. If I put that into the chain between the DS and the amps, then there is no hiss whatsoever. Dead quiet. (And everything sounds fabulous, by the way – these amps are great, even with only 36 hours on them.)
- I can’t see how it could be a cable issue, because I’ve tried multiple cables and the same cables produce no hiss when connecting the other combinations of components.
So: DS straight into Stellar M700’s, constant audible hiss. Every other combination of gear, no hiss at all.
I would really like to be able to take my office preamp back to my office and run the DS straight into the M700’s. I’d like not to have to buy a new preamp right now. Any suggestions?