DirectStream is Hifi+ DAC of the year

Along with the Nagra HD dac…

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hi-fi-products-of-the-year-digital-audio/

The Nagra’s around $25K. High praise to PS Audio for providing a giant-killer at a price I can afford.

And will the next OS set a new bar?

The similarities in approach of the two units are striking.

I enjoy the look and, particularly, the feel of the Nagra. A headphone out is also a wonderful feature. But it was built more as a cost is no object offering.

billg said The Nagra's around $25K. High praise to PS Audio for providing a giant-killer at a price I can afford.

And will the next OS set a new bar?

Yes, the next update of DS and JR will raise the bar once again.

I’m shocked!24_gif

I really like the capsule description of the DS.

adriaan said That's great news! The DS is very quiet and musical already. However, a little richer tone would be nice!
Not sure that is possible , but I too would love that. Ted and team do always syprise me though.

Any update on release Date on new firmware ?

adriaan said That's great news! The DS is very quiet and musical already. However, a little richer tone would be nice!
Yes, here is another vote for a richer, much more like 1.21, tonal quality. As is some of us who dislike the lack of bloom to the notes with both Pike's peak and Yale's sound seem to be stuck with very little prospect of ever being able to buy a streaming card for our units.

+1 for the richer tone without sacrificing any of the qualities of Yale.

I vote for accurately pulling the sound off of the CD or file, good or bad.

Elk said I vote for accurately pulling the sound off of the CD or file, good or bad.
Agreed. Accuracy is sine qua non.