DirectStream Junior review + setup tips

Right, I understand the Bridge II does decoding of network streams to get it to a standard I2S format. That means you can only get MQA via the network connection then? I must be doing something wrong with my USB test, I’ll double check.

I didn’t read the review, just took note of its existence. But it is a data point for my observation, review numbers of the DirectStream family aren’t running out of steam, even after being in production for several years now.

am i the only one surprised at how many ‘problems’ he ran into?
scary.

Hi, I have the DSD Junior taking coax out from a bluesound node. I also have it being fed via an ethernet cable.

I run both Quboz and Tidal in hi res. I use Mconnect. Thinking about signing up for Roon only to access the DSP EQ that’s available, I don’t really need the music library features as I only really stream.

I’ve read a lot of confusing info on what the exact settings within Roon are to make sure that you’re getting the highest quality playback and such that the DSP provides the best performance. I assume I have to buy a mic, place it where I sit and listen and then let Roon sweep the room? I’m also interested in being able to tweak the room based on how I want it to sound via the Roon DSP, set it and forget it. Can you change the eq settings from the Roon app on an iphone so I can do it from my listening chair?

Any help on the exact settings in Roon for optimal DSP sound?
I assume I then would only use the bridge function in order to access Roon?

Thanks- I run a Pass 250.8, Pass xp10, Focal Sopra 2 and an REL s5 / SHO for the system, the room is 13x22.

Roon can consolidate both your Quboz and Tidal accounts into one interface and then stream directly to the DSjr via the bridge II / ethernet. Even without a local library, you might find yourself getting sucked into the Roon interface and meta-data search features with streaming services like Tidal and Quboz. It’s pretty cool and you end up wondering where the last hour went as you poke around Tidal…

For optimal setup, I would keep it simple and let Roon discover your DSjr on the network via the bridge II. The DSjr is a Roon certified device and the default settings are pretty damn good. You might consider setting volume leveling and/or a resync delay to suit your needs (Roon, device settings.) On your DSjr, I would recommend the latest Snowmass but not the latest bridge FW 3.6.17 - go with 3.6.2 instead. Psaudio support can tell you how to fall back to 3.6.2.

As you indicated, Roon has some nice EQ and DSP functionality. If you want to really tweak for the room, look at a free copy of REW (room eq wizard) and get yourself a sub$100 UMIK-1 USB microphone. You’ll need a PC or MAC too. There are online tutorials on how to use REW+UMIK-1 to create a convolution filter (.wav files bundled up in a zip file) that can be supplied to Roon’s DSP Convolution filter feature. This gives you really good room correction. However, it is easy to go overboard and create a perfectly flat in-room response that sounds completely lifeless and dull. Less is more. Use it gently to remove some room peaks after you have properly setup and positioned your speakers. my .02.

1 Like