Directstream Junior - Volume control behaving strangely on USB input

Hello,

I’ve had a DSJ for 2 days. Sounds brilliant but I updated the firmware to Huron and since then, on the USB input the volume control has gone rogue on me. If I adjust it to any volume (low or high) it sits on that volume for about 30 seconds then it jumps to 60. If I mute it, the sounds stops, again for about 30 seconds and then, you guessed it, the sound comes on and jumps to 60 on the dial. I was on the phone when this happened and it scared the life out of me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers on my laptop then installed the drivers on a 2nd laptop with the same issue. I also took the batteries out of the remote just in case it had a fault but the problem remained.

So has anyone reported any bugs with Huron in relation to the volume control??

Thanks in advance, Mark

scumbag said

Hello,

I’ve had a DSJ for 2 days. Sounds brilliant but I updated the firmware to Huron and since then, on the USB input the volume control has gone rogue on me. If I adjust it to any volume (low or high) it sits on that volume for about 30 seconds then it jumps to 60. If I mute it, the sounds stops, again for about 30 seconds and then, you guessed it, the sound comes on and jumps to 60 on the dial. I was on the phone when this happened and it scared the life out of me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers on my laptop then installed the drivers on a 2nd laptop with the same issue. I also took the batteries out of the remote just in case it had a fault but the problem remained.

So has anyone reported any bugs with Huron in relation to the volume control??

Thanks in advance, Mark

This is a bridge reset issue, and should have been fixed in Huron, but apparently not completely. Email me at dennis@psaudio.com

Dennis

Dennis,

PM sent. I

Mark

scumbag said

…I updated the firmware to Huron and since then, on the USB input the volume control has gone rogue on me…

A DirectStream DAC volume going rogue can quickly lead to an unfortunate outcome. Which is why I don’t use it as a DAC/pre connected directly to a power amp. I set the volume to 100 and connect it to a dedicated pre-amp, and then to the power amp. Then, if the DirectStream volume does go rogue, it’s not going to cause anything to blow up. Lesson learned.

Well at the moment, with the DWJ at 100 I am not getting enough volume to get my Pass Labs anywhere near clipping and it is not driving my speakers into noticable distortion. Having it switch to 60 is annoying for all sorts of reasons but it’s not a motivation to buy a preamp. I went the power-amp DSJ route to get rid of boxes. Having 1 more than I need (i.e. a preamp) would be a last resort.

Your issue of a rouge volume going from 100 to 60 is annoying, but it won’t get expensive. My DS going rouge from 60 to 100 was both annoying and expensive, which is why in future I will only connect it via a dedicated pre-amp.

Yes, similar issue but your’s sound potentially more expensive. :wink:

Scumbag - have you tried reverting to another FW to see if the behavior continues?

And not that I think it’s the way to fix this problem, but don’t discount having a preamp in there sonically. Even folks who can’t imagine how it could be better sometimes find that it is.

And guessing you’ve read the “Directstream Jr. Volume Drops” thread?

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/directstream-junior-volume-drops/#p74085

Well, the issue was meant to have been addressed in Huron so going back to another firmware probably won’t do anything. I’m guessing there may be a bit of debugging going on with the Huron build this week to identify the issue conclusively and perhaps a new build will be coming out to hot-fix it.

Sorry - I wasn’t aware it was a preexisting condition. Seemed like those mentioning it were all on Huron. I take it PS is sure it’s FW fixable and not somehow a HW issue? If it is FW, it seems like there is quite a bit of variability in how it loads/behaves in different pieces of HW.

Yes this was a pre-existing issue in earlier version of firmware. I had several people that had the issue check a pre-release version of Huron and for them it fixed this issue, but apperently it did not fix it for everyone. I will be looking into it to see what I missed. In the meantime if you unplug the bridge from the network it should solve the issue.

If you are experiencing this issue please email me at dennis@psaudio.com

Dennis