Directstream Mk 2 observations

Thanks Ted!

What transformers are in your MK1

Still stock. I was holding off waiting for the MkII, to see how I felt about it stock to stock, head to head.

Something I noticed is if you set a fixed volume in the MK2, it will not take effect till you hit volume up or down after you exit the menu.

We discovered the MK1 and MK2 volume difference is 4 numbers on the volume.
Stock MK1 set to 92 = Stock MK2 set to 88 or
Stock MK1 set to 94 = Stock MK2 set to 90 or
Stock MK1 set to 96 = Stock MK2 set to 92 or
Stock MK1 set to 98 = Stock MK2 set to 94 or
Stock MK1 set to 100 = Stock MK2 set to 96.
So I think tony22 is correct.

1 Like

Yay! Thanks for that, Jeff. :+1:

1 Like

Just got my DSD MKII and the break-in has begun! I planned on running music through the DAC while I was away for the weekend, but I didn’t want to turn on a bunch of stuff on before I left for the weekend. I run like 30 ft of speaker cable, I know it’s not ideal, but I like keeping my stereo stuff subtle. Having said that, I run these to Klipsch Cornwall IVs, which is the first thing anyone notices when they come by. hahaha

6 Likes

Nice rack!

2 Likes

Thank You Herr Doctor !!

2 Likes

Nice Knockers Young Frankenstein GIFs | Tenor

6 Likes

Anyone seen any formal reviews out there?

So while I’m not listening to the MkII since I hooked it up, I did listen only long enough to match levels with the MkI. Otherwise I’m just letting it cook until some hundreds of hours go by. At least I know it’s working, but this report is for me also hearing the light “crunching” noise between tracks on a CD I burned myself. One of my audio show CDs containing various tracks I use when I go to shows. Don’t hear this via the PST through the MkI. Running 1.98 Antero.

I’ve been playing lots of discs without issue…seems to sound better every day…I do not have a streamer attached to DAC, so only CD…though I feel break-in occurs even with DAC and Transport turned on, since some juice is flowing through…

Is it a known thing that with Roon used to see the MKI on the other side of the streamer and not the MKII or is that my new configuration?

My Roon sees the MK2 but thinks it is a MK1 which I have never owned.

1 Like

Yeah I am wondering if it’s the new streamers. Stack and Holo do not show the MKII. I got rid of the Sonore and I cannot remember if it saw it.

It’s the new, different and not widely used USB module in the Mk II. Ted has talked about it several times.

My Mk2 is finally here, day 1. Right out of the box. . .it sounded awesome, I heard an improvement from the OG and the modded DSDs that I own, unmistakable, not subtle. Less high frequency edge, taughter yet fuller bass.

A couple of hours in I lifted the ground on my two sources (the two I2S inputs) and heard a different presentation, with a bit more clarity and a bit more depth to the presentation.

If it gets better (I know it will) I’ll continue to be a happy camper.

8 Likes

I suggest you stream to it non-stop for a few weeks.

1 Like

I have been sitting on the fence for a while now trying to decide whether to upgrade from MK1 to MK2 or not. But it’s hard to resist after reading all nice feedback from you guys at the forum😄is the MK2 really so much better in SQ than MK1? It’s quite an big investment to trade in the MK1 because it means I would also need to buy a new streamer. Running Roon on an Intel NUC today through an English Electric ethernet switch and feed into my MK1 with bridge. I suppose USB direct from the Intel NUC is not the best option, and my dealer has suggested that I Invest in a good quality streamer between. I will ask the dealer to have the possibility to test the MK2 in my setup at home. It will be really interesting to do a direct comparison between MK1 and MK2. Curious to know if someone has done this already and could give me some advice if lt’s worth the extra money?

2 Likes