Directstream sound suddenly stopped working

I have a DS that was working fine via USB. Today there is no sound. Has anyone solved this issue? Things I tried:

1. Tried two computers, one with Linux one with windows. Both of them worked before, and work fine with a perfectwave I have. Neither can cause sound (they both see the DS).
  2. Swapped in another DAC (same cables, same rest of system): other dac works fine.
  3. Checked USB connection — the DS can tell when the usb cable is properly plugged in (red light goes on/off, and there is a "clicking" sound).
  4. Checked mute buttons, played with volume, power cycled everything.
Does anyone have any insight into what the issue could be?

Thanks!

Not meaning to offend, but…

Is the USB input selected on the DirectStream? Is the volume turned up? Is mute set?

Just a few things that we all can miss when we get distracted.

J.P.

wingsounds13 said Not meaning to offend, but...

Is the USB input selected on the DirectStream? Is the volume turned up? Is mute set?

Just a few things that we all can miss when we get distracted.

J.P.

Yup, that was (3) and (4).

And I have the DACs reversed: I can’t get sound out of the USB on my perfectwave DAC, the directwave is working fine.

Sorry for the idiotic reversal. I don’t see an edit button for the original post…

Just to be clear. You have a problem with USB on the PerfectWave? When you connect the PWT shows a green lock light, yet no sound comes out? Typically that means your computer is having an issue, not the PWD. I assume the driver is installed? I don’t quite know how you would connect a Linux box since I do not believe we make a published driver for Linux. You must have a driver. Assuming you do have the proper driver for Windows installed, does Windows recognize the PS Audio USB 2.0 driver and is it choosing that to connect to?

You might give a call today if you cannot get any further and we’d be happy to help.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply. Yes the sound issue is with perfectwave (my directstream works fine). The green light is on. The windows box recognizes the DAC and claims to be playing to it. I had PSAudio-USBAudio2.0DriverLatest installed. I just uninstalled/re-installed it. That seems to fix the issue, though windows 7 says “PS AudioUSB Audio 2.0 Failed, PS Audio Perfectwave Ready to use”

Can it cause issues that I am using the same computer for both a perfectwave and a directstream? (e.g., I can only have the computer plugged into one during driver install.)

Thanks!

dre said Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply. Yes the sound issue is with perfectwave (my directstream works fine). The green light is on. The windows box recognizes the DAC and claims to be playing to it. I had PSAudio-USBAudio2.0DriverLatest installed. I just uninstalled/re-installed it. That seems to fix the issue, though windows 7 says “PS AudioUSB Audio 2.0 Failed, PS Audio Perfectwave Ready to use”

Can it cause issues that I am using the same computer for both a perfectwave and a directstream? (e.g., I can only have the computer plugged into one during driver install.)

Thanks!

That should not cause an issue.

Dennis

Ok, problem still not 100% fixed. I can play the perfectwave with my windows 7 machine (after I did a device uninstall/install).

However, if I then try with linux, there is no sound (from what I can tell, linux’s drivers should work).

The worse, weird problem is that after linux can’t play, if I replug the USB cable into windows, it can’t play either. If I power cycle the dac then it works again.

(And yes, if I unplug/replug windows only, everything keeps working. it’s only windows->linux->windows that causes problems).

Does anyone know why running linux would mess up the dac?