DirectStream

Howdy Al

Yep, this dac is very close to bits-is-bits. I have many USB -> S/PDIF, etc. converters as well as S/PDIF splitters, etc. so I can A/B inputs and switch between many inputs that are all running at once. There is no character difference between various technology inputs and for that matter no clicks/pops/gaps going from one input to another whether they are the same sample rate or not…

-Ted

@alekz

"So it’s something like 1kB per channel. Indeed, big enough to keep the stream flowing, but small enough to cause any initial delays"

Even stronger: there’s no initial delay at all, the data flows completely thru and starts playing. Further there’s no delay going from one input to another, changing sample rates, etc. You can think of all inputs as being locked all of the time.

However when you say “The PWDmkII delay is about 7 seconds” you must be referring to the bridge. That delay will remain the same as the mk II since it’s completely in the bridge.

tedsmith said: However when you say "The PWDmkII delay is about 7 seconds" you must be referring to the bridge. That delay will remain the same as the mk II since it's completely in the bridge.

Rethinking again, I think yes, you are right. I play exclusively via the Bridge, and I have no idea if there is any initial mkII delay if any other input is used. But in mkII there's an internal buffer aka Digital Lens aka NativeX, which should be filled in (and I reckon it's much bigger than 1kB). As far as I can remember the initial mkII delay is longer than mkI, so the buffer should matter.
tedsmith said: However when you say "The PWDmkII delay is about 7 seconds" you must be referring to the bridge. That delay will remain the same as the mk II since it's completely in the bridge.

Rethinking again, I think yes, you are right. I play exclusively via the Bridge, and I have no idea if there is any initial mkII delay if any other input is used. But in mkII there's an internal buffer aka Digital Lens aka NativeX, which should be filled in (and I reckon it's much bigger than 1kB). As far as I can remember the initial mkII delay is longer than mkI, so the buffer should matter.

What I have observed is that when using Kinsky control point with Minimserver on my HTPC and toggle Stop within Kinsky, the streaming stops as expected, but after a few seconds a new, random track starts, even if Kinsky is shut down. I have not verified whether this is residing in some sort of external playlist, but to me it seem to be prebuffered in the Bridge itself. In any case it takes several minutes before the music stops, i.e. the internal buffer of the Bridge is quite large. If I push the Stop/Pause button on the PWD display, the music stops and remain so.

Ted a big thanks. That is perfect and what I wanted to hear .

Al

Gordon said: I am still waiting.

Sigh. I remain alone. :-??

tedsmith said: On the other hand I think the sound will be so different from what you might be used to that you'll probably not be thinking about burnin, cable swaping, etc. when you start to listen.

Another affirmation of why I just can't describe this thing in words. I am not a professional reviewer nor have I ever heard a $30K DAC or the like. I also shy away from the flowery descriptors that many use to describe their subjective experiences in words. Please don't interpret my stunted sound quality descriptions as terse. I am not bothered by the questions as some have sent me concerned PM's worrying that they are "bugging" me. Not so. I am very enthusiastic about this device (understatement) but I can't wait until more of "us" get their hands on one. :)>-

You may not be a reviewer nor I , but to describe in detail what changes you need the words . I to felt. Like you do now at one time and reading what others said I laughed too. But for me it just became tools of description

Al . .

wglenn said: Please don't interpret my stunted sound quality descriptions as terse.

Not at all.

Small differences are easy to describe - there is a change, more detail, more fleshed out bass, whatever.

A wholesale shift is much more difficult to describe. My first thought in such situations is the sound is more open, transparent. But next I recognize there is greater texture and richness of timbre. Then there is improved resolution of micro-dynamics, blacker silence between the notes, better ambient retrieval, more emotional impact . . .

Pretty soon it devolves into everything is just "better." By a lot.

The best analogy I can provide is for those with a PWT or other excellent transport. It sounds better in all ways over a lesser transport or computer playback. I am confident however the difference with DirectStream is a substantial magnitude greater.

Elk do you have a demo direct stream to hear ?

Al

Elk said: I am confident however the difference with DirectStream is a substantial magnitude greater.

And I as well. :)

Regarding burn in, with the PWD, I found that it took a month to settle into its final sonic signature. Not only that, but two weeks in, the sound had reached its nadir to the point that I was ready to return it. Oddly, it was from that exact point that the sound started to improve consistently over the following two weeks. At that point, one month in, the sound was great-- open, detailed, with extended bass range, and with both excellent micro- and macro-dynamics. I’ve been happy with the PWD since then.

I’ve had the same experience with cables, even power cords where they may take weeks to reach their performance plateau and show their final capabilities.

Regards,

Kernelbob

Do you leave the equipment on all the time

Or just when you wish to listen

And how long to you wait to listen

Al

Re equipment on/off: Yes, I leave the DAC on all the time. I know that per PSA “critical circuits” are maintained even if the front power switch of the PWD is turned off, but I leave it on nonetheless. I do turn the PWT off (using the front panel switch) to avoid running the laser continuously.

Regards,

Kernelbob

Thanks for replying

I do the same and my amps are off but I wait about 20 mins and they are warm then I start to listen it makes a big difference in the sound

Thanks

Al

Hi alrainbow,

The question of leaving power amps on is not as easy to do. In my case, I use Spectron monoblocks (either full range or as bass amps in a biamp config). Those guys really (!) need to be left on all of the time. After being powered up after an extensive time off, they will take days, even weeks, to return to their maximum capabilities. Fortunately, they draw little power (around 40 watts) at idle, so that’s not such a problem. On the other hand, I have single ended tube power amps which draw 300 watts (each) continuously even with no signal. Given their continuous power draw, not to mention using up tube life, they are on only during listening. They take about half an hour to fully bloom.

Best,

Kernelbob

Re equipment on/off: Yes, I leave the DAC on all the time. I know that per PSA "critical circuits" are maintained even if the front power switch of the PWD is turned off, but I leave it on nonetheless. I do turn the PWT off (using the front panel switch) to avoid running the laser continuously.

Regards,
Kernelbob

I didn't think the laser got activated unless a disc was loaded into the tray.

For me it is crazy. In my office rig I have Aragons 8008 BB

And they run hot all the time. They take about 30 mins or so

To sound good. At home I have david halfler amps

They do not get hit at idle but need about thirty mins

Now in NC I have these krell mono things huge two sections each amp. Anyway they are on fire and need. About 30 mins

And additional HVAC when on. It’s crazy

What we do to hear music. Lol

Al

A quote from one of the CAS members who heard the DirectStream DAC that was posted on “What’s The Best Forums.”

"The Colorado Audio Society held its February meeting at PS Audio this past Saturday, and we got to walk through a very thorough technical presentation and finally have an opportunity to listen to this DAC over Paul’s IRS based system. It was a jaw dropping type of product demonstration. I believe they are going to sell a boatload of these things."

I wonder if they noticed the dent left in the floor by my jaw in Room #1? :wink:

At this point there are probably a lot of those dents Will. Good quote.

Hey Ted,

Here’s a question for you. Given that the DirectStream is theoretically immune to incoming jitter, and all the inputs should sound the same, will it make any difference what computer software is used to play audio files? That is, will iTunes sound the same as JRiver as a player? And finally, if so, can I just use apple airplay to stream to an airport express or apple tv, then connect via toslink to the DirectStream, and not notice any difference compared to the bridge?