DirectStream

@stereophilus

Both in theory and practice I don’t believe sound quality will be affected by the software on the computer - EXCEPT if the computer puts out EMI or crap on the power cord that affect the rest of your system whether the DAC is there or not.

I would choose my playback software based on it’s features and reliability. Some don’t really have enough configuration to, for example, use ASIO at a higher processor priority, or to configure buffers to be big enough to survive USB drive spinup, etc.

I don’t have an airport express and would appreciate feedback on it. I know that it doesn’t use a crystal for it’s sample rate clock and can sound pretty bad in some situations. But I don’t honestly know if the clock is sooo inaccurate that it is worse than +/- 100 ppm. If the clock is within +/- 100ppm of the nominal sample rate it will sound find thru the DirectStream.

Before we got USB up I did all of my demos over TOSLink since I could avoid debugging groundloops at people’s houses. But TOSLink usually doesn’t have high enough bandwidth for 176.4k, 192k or DSD.

Is toslink or spidif ever have have enough bandwidth for dsd

?? I thought only USB or i2s was for DSD

Al

S/PDIF and AES/EBU work fine on most systems for single rate DSD

I’ve heard rumors that some can get 352.8 PCM thru S/PDIF or AES/EBU now and then. We don’t support it yet (or perhaps we never will)

At higher rates you might need better than a coat hanger to get it to work. I have one of those red/white/yellow cables that come with VCRs or satellite receivers and it works fine at 176.4 but not at 192… Any “real” cable will work fine.

This must be a stupid question because nobody has asked it yet, but I’ll sacrifice myself :slight_smile:

What about internet radio? Would you expect any difference in SQ there?

Not to poo poo on the parade here but, for $6000 this thing better wash my face, and take the dog’s for a walk. IMO I think it’s a bit overpriced, unless someone can prove me wrong. Yes it’s great, and it’s new technology, and for what it is supposed to do but, holy crap, especially since no ones even heard it yet. So…I expect hate mail for this but…just sayin.

Not to poo poo on the parade here but, for $6000 this thing better wash my face, and take the dog's for a walk. IMO I think it's a bit overpriced, unless someone can prove me wrong. Yes it's great, and it's new technology, and for what it is supposed to do but, holy crap lemmings. So...I expect hate mail for this but...just sayin.

If it can compete with other brands costing $6k, well then the pricing is resonable.
Cost price does not matter.

Ya know I have demoed over a week each at least 12 dacs that I do not own. And not one sounded better than the pwd mkii it have now.

And most cost way more than this DAC.

And some three times as much

The point is I trust ps audio enough to buy one without hearing it

Why cause Paul and the others there all said is was amazing.

So when I get mine ill post how much you will be missing it

Al

@mikedc

Internet radio sound quality is almost totally determined well before the DAC, but I do listen to some darn fine stuff over the net. It took me a while to listen most of Linn’s HQ (for the net anyway) stuff. If you get the bits to the DAC they’ll sound good. How much better really depends on the rest of the system.

I’m pruning my system, cable connections etc in anticipation of the DS DAC [ looks like the 10th so far] and realized that I do not have any DSD music to offer it.

I am downloading some DSD128 files from 2L in and I wonder if anyone had any other suggestions for content.

My usual routine involves a few playlists of purposely selected music based on what I am listening for [if specific].

I also have p-lists of various resolutions that I have used for the PWD MKII which were to identify any issues while changing.

I will try to make a couple of p-lists with “pure” DSD as well as PCM of the same tracks to see if my olde ears can hear any difference.

If anyone has any link suggestions for files or if you have a file or p-list I can use please let me know.

Hello Gordon I do not know names of hand but I do have ref tracks to recommend . I can post in the morning. I can also send you a drop box link to download some stuff too. Good dsd 128 really is amazing to hear.

Al

cool n thanks.

I usually find it difficult to AxB one component vs another due to the time lapse between the two listens.

Now that I am home and the “rig” is cleaned and tuned, I’m getting a good listen to the PWD reference again.

When the NEW DAC arrives I’ll set it up to burn in for a day or so but NOT connected to my amp.

After a last morning with PWD I will make the switch and give one of my regular P-lists a run.

Other than the usual A’phile Mag test terms my real objective is How It Makes Me Feel while listening.

Either I “connect” with the presentation OR I don’t. For me the buzz words are more like investigative tools as to why or why not. They are an important part of the experience but again, secondary to me since any “great” DAC should already handle tone, timbre stage, bass etc very well.

Beyond the potential of DSD file SQ improvement I also want to compare the same files to PCM to see [hear] how the DAC handles them.

G

Gordon, output transformers probably need to be connected to something to burn in… If they are not driving anything, there is very little current flow. Any reason not to connect to your amp?

@stereophilus

I was thinking that too.

I would like it to burn a bit and settle down from travelling. I would also like to do the swap on the same day, with the Pwd playing the same p-lists in the morning and the DS in the afternoon.

Same day, mood weather etc.

I suppose I could run it through another amp and speakers and you are correct that this would be preferable.

Gordon, output transformers probably need to be connected to something to burn in... If they are not driving anything, there is very little current flow. Any reason not to connect to your amp?

Howdy

You can engage the 20dB attenuation relay: it puts 15 ohm shunts to ground on the output.

-Ted

cool.

then no need for an amp?

I hesitate to disturb or cool down PWD before it’s final removal. My amp is a 6 channel Rowland so I may be able to hook something up.

That’s right. Heck, if you want you can just short the output :slight_smile: (I’m serious.)

Can’t Wait. Move yer butt McGowan!

alrainbow said: The point is I trust ps audio enough to buy one without hearing it

Yep, this is what I said in another thread - PSA stuff is addictive.

But who knows how the music is managed from a NAS or Vortexbox ?

Is there a new working App ( or “next” Xmas )?

My other concern is the price in EU. The PWD II incl. Bridge was 5100 €. I feer the update will be approx. 4000€.

That is 9100 € ( 12400 $ ) within 2 years.

Btw. I love my PWD!

Helmut

@Frode If it can compete with other brands costing $6k, well then the pricing is resonable.Cost price does not matter.

Emotiva.com